Hit and run sentencing postponed
By Chuck Biedka
Published: Saturday, March 2, 2013, 1:11 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, March 5, 2013
An Allegheny County man who pleaded guilty to an Alle-Kiski Valley hit-and-run incident won't be sentenced until April.
Freddie Knight, 40, of Wall, was scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday in Allegheny County Court for a car crash in East Deer in which he struck a couple who were standing on the sidewalk in front of the Creighton Hotel on Feb. 3, 2012.
Knight's case was continued on Tuesday and placed on the April court schedule. A specific date was not available.
The female victim had a leg amputated and her boyfriend was injured, too.
Police say that Knight fled in a 1990 Ford Mustang but was apprehended after a high-speed car chase and foot chase. Even then, he had to be jolted with a Taser gun.
Knight later skipped his preliminary hearing but in December accepted a plea bargain in the East Deer case.
He pleaded guilty to causing an accident involving serious injury, resisting arrest and other charges.
Prosecutors dropped the more serious charge of aggravated assault by a vehicle. They also dropped charges of driving with a suspended or revoked license, reckless driving and not having insurance.
Knight is free on $10,000 bond pending sentencing.
Chuck Biedka is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4711 or email@example.com.
- Farmers and Merchants Bank moves into Freeport
- Deer’s visit could force changes at Apollo-Ridge High School
- Apollo-Ridge, teachers lock up 5-year contract
- No tax hike for Allegheny Valley schools
- Man dead after being struck by an SUV in Fawn
- United Way honors efforts of ‘quiet cheerleader’
- Fashion show to benefit Habitat for Humanity
- Remember When: A look at the Valley’s past in the language of the times
- Golf course employee killed in Bell Township mower accident
- Test confirms fox that bit Kiski Township boy had rabies
- Newly ordained Father Mark Pattock comes home to Natrona
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.