Burrell’s WPIAL run ends badly
By Bill Beckner Jr.
Published: Saturday, March 2, 2013, 3:09 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
Burrell High School's underdog quest to win the WPIAL Class AA boys basketball title ended badly Saturday.
The Buccaneers got off to a slow start and never recovered, losing to defending champion Beaver Falls, 61-33, on Saturday afternoon at Duquesne University's A.J. Palumbo Center.
Burrell (19-7), making its first championship-game appearance in 34 years, fell behind 32-8 by halftime. The Bucs played the fast-paced Tiger even in the fourth quarter, at 18-18, but trailed by as many as 30 in the third quarter.
Beaver Falls, which ran over every other playoff opponent by more than 30 points, won its ninth WPIAL basketball title. The top-seeded Tigers (23-3) took a 15-0 lead in the first quarter and never looked back.
Senior guard Drew Cook led Beaver Falls with 20 points, while Elijah Cottrill added 14 and Dan Stratton 13.
Burrell was going for its first WPIAL basketball title in the school's 49-year existence.
The Bucs were led by Cole Bush and Pete Spagnolo with 14 point each.
There are currently no comments for this story.
- Leechburg Area coaches mixed about move to Heritage
- Arnold bicycle reunion doesn’t work as hoped
- Art enhances Natrona’s summer program for children
- West Mifflin man held for trial in sex assault case
- Leechburg Area School Board picks interim chief
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at Brackenridge crime scene
- Apollo-Ridge, teachers lock up 5-year contract
- Remember When: A look at the Valley’s past in the language of the times
- Test confirms fox that bit Kiski Township boy had rabies
- Farmers and Merchants Bank moves into Freeport
- Camp’s growth a credit to Springdale community