Landslide closes Freeport Road in Springdale Township
Freeport Road between the New Kensington bridge and Riddle Run Road in Springdale Township was expected to be closed to traffic Tuesday morning because of landslide concerns.
PennDOT crews were expected to have closed the road by 11 p.m. Monday. It was not known when it would reopen, PennDOT spokesman Jim Struzzi said.
Struzzi said a “drop zone area” in that section of the road had filled with debris that had fallen from a steep hillside, which was moving after the daylong snow and rain. Nothing had yet fallen on the road, he said.
“We're concerned that if any additional debris comes off that hillside it could come onto the road,” he said. “We don't want to run that risk.”
Struzzi said crews would be cleaning up the debris from the drop zone and assessing the condition of the hillside today.
The same detour expected to be in place for a super load Tuesday night was being put in place Monday night.
Northbound traffic was being detoured using Riddle Run Road to Butler Logan Road to Route 28 to Route 366. Southbound traffic would follow the same detour in the opposite direction.
Struzzi said authorities would have to determine if the road is safe for the scheduled super load to move through that area.
Brian C. Rittmeyer is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4701 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Springdale counters despair with ‘HOPE’
- Alle-Kiski farmers: Crops weather heavy rain
- Cost of Glade Run Lake dam to beat estimates
- ‘Wax weed’ worries authorities
- Man who threatened to jump from Tarentum Bridge in custody
- Keystone Markers give insights about towns but have fallen victim to time, theft or traffic accidents
- State store relocates to Highlands Mall
- Union to work while ATI talks continue
- Pyrotechnics display turns from benefit to burden in Tarentum
- Soggy conditions don’t deter people from Springdale jubilee
- Saxonburg residents surprised by zoning proposal