New Ken family needs help after fire
By Mary Ann Thomas
Published: Saturday, May 11, 2013, 1:21 a.m.
The family left homeless by a fire that destroyed most of its possessions at a New Kensington home Thursday evening is “just trying to get things pulled back together.”
Angel Lynn Wilson along with three of her five children and boyfriend lost all of their possessions in the blaze. Their rented, two-story, wood-frame house at 318 Home St. was fully engulfed by the time firefighters arrived Thursday evening.
State police have ruled the fire accidental.
The American Red Cross provided Wilson, her children and boyfriend with temporary housing at a nearby hotel until they find transitional and new, permanent housing.
The New Kensington Salvation Army is collecting items for the family.
Wilson and her two children who were home when the fire broke out escaped, but not the family's 12-year-old cat, Camity, according to John Kunkle, Wilson's boyfriend.
“Everyone was in shock yesterday and everyone is trying to get calmed down,” Kunkle said Friday. “We're just trying to get things pulled back together.”
The family lost everything in the fire — furniture, TV, clothing and cell phones.
Mary Ann Thomas is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-226-4691 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Staff writer Chuck Biedka contributed to this story.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Fear of building collapse closes Tarentum road
- Development involving former Heights Elementary to expand
- Valley’s marina owners ready to repair ice-damaged docks
- Tax delinquency’s impact varies in Valley
- Allegheny Township board approves RV sales lot on Route 356
- Prospective Eagle Scouts line up for community projects
- With no money for upkeep, Prospect Cemetery Association board to disband
- Leechburg biology teacher earned students’ respect
- Charges against police chief have Springdale mayor crying foul
- Saxonburg Dollar General to move, expand
- South Butler School District receives $22,600 grant for school security