Boy OK after hornet attack in Harrison Hills Park
A 6-year-old boy was rescued from a ravine in Harrison Hills Park on Tuesday after he was stung multiple times by hornets.
Lonnie Cadamore was hiking with an uncle, James Cadamore of Brackenridge, on a trail near the Ox Roast Grove in Harrison Hills when the incident occurred, Harrison police Officer Doug Helgert said.
The pair came across a hornet's next and were attacked by the insects, Helgert said. Cadamore and the boy fled but not before the boy suffered multiple stings. Cadamore also suffered stings, according to his mother, Jane Cadamore of Fawn.
“The uncle attempted to carry him out of the woods and could make it only so far,” Helgert said. “They needed help because he was down in a ravine.”
Cadamore called for help on a cell phone, and emergency personnel from Citizens Hose EMS and Rescue and Harrison Hills Rescue responded, Helgert said. The ravine was at least 100 feet deep, and the boy had to be lifted out by emergency personnel using a Stokes basket and rope.
“He appeared to be OK; he was talking to everybody,” Helgert said.
“He's fine,” Jane Cadamore said of her grandson. She said he suffered about five or six stings on his hands and feet and lost a shoe.
She said he was treated at the scene and did not have to be hospitalized.
“He's all boy,” Jane Cadamore said. “They told him he didn't even have to go to T-ball practice, and he said, ‘I'm not going to let my team down.' He's at T-ball practice right now.”
Tom Yerace is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4675 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Police: Body found beneath Tarentum Bridge is jumper
- All in favor of sewage accord between Allegheny Valley authority, regulators
- Fire victim’s ex-boyfriend jumps from Tarentum Bridge
- Food a big draw for Festa Italiana lovers in New Kensington
- 90-degree weather took vacation from Western Pa. in July
- Harrison woman burned in trailer fire
- Calm and quick Leechburg bank robber sought
- Home invasion reported in Tarentum
- A-K Valley public pools deal with deficits, repair costs, lower attendance
- Marine recalls Saigon: April 30, 1975 — the day the U.S. Embassy closed
- Saxonburg man pleads no contest to setting boy, 7, on fire