Fire destroys Washington Township home
Glenn Rairigh fears the Washington Township house that has been in his wife's family for 77 years was destroyed by flames on Monday.
“Someone came up and started pounding on our door, yelling the other house was on fire,” said Rairigh. “I think it's a total loss.”
Rairigh, who lives next door, owns the house at 1996 Route 380 where fire was reported just after 3 p.m. Monday.
No one was home when the blaze started. Rairigh said his son, Scott Rairigh, lives there with his wife, Dawn, and two young girls.
Washington Township fire Chief Dan Black said it appears an extension cord connected to an air-conditioning unit sparked the fire in the home's living room.
Black said some motorcyclists driving by noticed the flames and stopped to make sure no one was inside.
No one was injured, but a puppy died in the fire.
Black said crews had little difficulty extinguishing the flames, but the damage is extensive.
“When we got there it was fully engulfed,” Black said. “They lost pretty much everything.”
Glenn Rairigh said the 3-bedroom house was insured.
Rairigh said his wife, Nancy, grew up in the 11⁄2-story house built in 1936 by his father-in-law, Carl Ferguson. The Fergusons owned surrounding farmland on the border of Bell Township that would become part of the Beaver Run Reservoir property.
Glenn and Nancy Rairigh built their own home behind the Ferguson house.
“We had a beautiful view of the lake, but now I'm looking at a burned-out house,” he said.
Following the death of his wife in December, Rairigh said the fire caps a difficult year for his family.
Liz Hayes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-226-4680 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Freezing rain sets off accidents
- Brackenridge high-rise infested with bed bugs
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- Positives seen despite Valley Junior-Senior High School performance scores
- Tarentum school briefly locked down Tuesday
- Apollo plans no tax increase
- Oakmont forced to deal with budget reality
- Burrell teacher nominated for LifeChanger of the Year award
- Oakmont welcomes leashed dogs to Dark Hollow Park
- Riverview to correct heating problems over Thanksgiving holiday