Rag-sparked dryer fires a previous issue at destroyed Cheswick business
By Jodi Weigand
Published: Thursday, Sept. 19, 2013, 1:26 a.m.
Cheswick firefighters had responded to Filter Service & Installation “several” times in the past for small dryer fires sparked by cleaning rags — the same issue that employees believe caused a fire that destroyed an industrial building in the borough on Tuesday afternoon.
A preliminary investigation of the blaze at 110 Cheswick Ave. revealed that the point of origin was a dryer in the business, said Alvin Henderson Jr., director of the Allegheny County Department of Emergency Services.
Cheswick's fire company last responded to a fire call at the business in March 2012.
“We talked to them and told them to be careful, like we would anybody else,” fire Chief Lindsay Sandusky said of the previous calls.
Ed Watson, who owns Filter Service, said rags in the dryers have started to smolder a few times in the past.
Watson, who owns the building that housed four businesses — Filter Service & Installation, Best Air Systems, Pro-Mech and 1st Fire Protection, said the building is a complete loss. A damage estimate is not available, he said.
The Allegheny County Fire Marshal's investigation is ongoing, but nothing suspicious had been found, said Don Brucker, chief deputy fire marshal.
According to employees, the fire started in a dryer containing rags used to clean restaurant hood exhaust systems.
Supervisor Paul King, who was in the building when the blaze broke out, said a fire started in one of the dryers and was believed to have been extinguished. But when the dryer was turned back on, King said, there was a pop followed by an explosion, and the fire quickly spread out of control.
Don Brucker, Allegheny County chief deputy fire marshal, said it is not unusual for rags with cooking oil on them to spontaneously combust.
“If it isn't laundered with enough soap to break up the oil, it's susceptible to spontaneous ignition,” he said. “We'd like to take any material still left in the dryer and send it to our crime lab to see if we can extract any cooking oils from it. That can tell you a lot.”
Hazardous materialsnot a problem
A hazardous materials team responded to the scene due to the presence of industrial-grade cleaning chemicals inside.
The chemicals were not on fire, but combustible items around them were burning, Henderson said.
The Allegheny County Health Department conducted air testing Tuesday evening and found nothing that would impact public health.
Water authorities in Harmar and Oakmont, both downstream from the fire, found nothing unusual in routine testing.
“I talked to the county (Wednesday) morning, and they're saying everything was contained on site, so there was no release into the river,” said Oakmont Water Authority plant manager Ed Adams.
The Municipal Authority of Harmar Township turned off intake pumps Tuesday night, said Joe McCollum, operations administrator. The shutoff was precautionary because the authority draws its water from wells, not river water, he said.
No governmental agency had oversight of how Filter Service stored and handled the chemicals due to the low quantity, officials said.
“This company, because of the low quantity they would have, were not required officially to report their chemical holdings,” Henderson said, “… but they had to provide the material safety data sheets when (emergency responders) arrived on the scene.”
4 firefighters hurt, including siblings
Ten fire companies responded to the scene.
Four firefighters were injured. Originally, officials said two were hurt.
All were doing well on Wednesday, their fire chiefs said.
Among the most severely injured were Cheswick firefighter Heather Sandusky, who was treated in UPMC Mercy hospital in Pittsburgh for burns on her hands and arms; and Frazer firefighter Zack Shupe, who twisted his knee when his leg went through the second-level floor boards.
Sandusky's father, fire Chief Lindsay Sandusky, said his daughter is resting at home. Her brother, Josh Sandusky, suffered from smoke inhalation, Sandusky said.
An East Deer firefighter suffered from shortness of breath and was checked in an ambulance at the scene and sent home.
Trying to keep working
Meanwhile, employees were doing what they could to keep the businesses going despite the lack of office space.
Employees from Pro-Mech (Professional Mechanical Sales and Service) set up computers and phones at makeshift work stations inside a large warehouse the company uses to store supplies.
The company planned to move the temporary offices into portable trailers until repairs are made, said Pro-Mech Vice President Ron Krhovsky.
A number of ash-covered computer towers sat on the floor in hopes that the data stored on them could be saved. Blackened and water-damaged file folders were stacked on shelves.
Most of the company's files are stored on a “cloud” network of remote computer servers hosted on the Internet.
King and two other Filter Service & Installation employees sat at a round table in the parking lot after moving out computers and other salvageable items. The rest went untouched so the insurance company could evaluate the damage.
“We're doing the best we can to get the business up and running,” King said. “We care about this business.”
Jodi Weigand is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-226-4702 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Coxcomb Hill Road reopened; Kerr Road still closed in Plum
- Fire destroys Frazer home; family was out at the time
- 4-year-old’s death from brain cancer won’t stop fight in her name
- Avonmore parents enter child with genetic disorder in contest for wheelchair-accessible van
- Kiski Valley native in wheelchair persists to save life, forge bond
- New Kensington police decline to identify stabbing victims amid investigation
- Allegheny Township supervisors agree to rezone land for farming
- Butler County Commissioners OK display of ‘In God We Trust’ in meeting room
- Agreement nears on Springdale police chief’s duties
- Former Apollo police Chief Breznican scheduled for release from Armstrong County Jail
- Apollo proposes wide-ranging ordinance on rental properties