Brothers escape Arnold house fire
By Chuck Biedka
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2013, 9:15 a.m.
Two brothers were able to get out of their burning house at 1725 Kenneth Ave., Arnold, on Wednesday morning.
The fire, whose origin wasn't immediately known, damaged an upstairs bedroom in the home owned by Roger and Wayne Burkett.
The fire caused about $60,000 in damage to the building and its contents, Arnold fire Chief J.C. Tedorsky said.
A deputy state fire marshal was conducting a routine investigation.
“I was asleep upstairs,” said Roger Burkett, 62. “I woke up and couldn't see. There was smoke. It smelled electrical. I called for my brother downstairs and got up, and we left.”
He said he and his 64-year-old brother got out just before 9 a.m.
Firefighters kept flames from damaging houses on either side of the gray-sided, two-story house 10 doors away from Holy Virgin Orthodox Church.
“We've been remodeling the house,” Roger Burkett said.
The brothers were staying at a sister's house across the street. The American Red Cross is assisting, Tedorsky said.
“The crews made an excellent stop,” the chief said. “The crew was very quick and efficient” in keeping flames away from houses on either side.
Tedorsky said Arnold, New Kensington, a Tarentum unit and Lower Burrell No. 3 firefighters and ambulance units responded.
Next-door neighbor Joycelyn Williams, 18, had just gotten to sleep after driving her mother to work in Plum 30 minutes earlier when she heard fire alarms and then a police officer knocking on her door.
“I got my dad up, and we got the dog and we got out,” she said.
The Burketts' house has caught fire before. A lunchtime fire on Nov. 16, 2007, damaged an upstairs bedroom.
Roger Burkett said he was told the 2007 fire was caused by a faulty indoor heater.
Wednesday's fire was largely out in about 30 minutes, but firefighters spent much of the morning looking for hot spots.
Chuck Biedka is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4711 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Classes cancelled Wednesday at Acmetonia Primary School
- Fear of building collapse closes Tarentum road
- Valley’s marina owners ready to repair ice-damaged docks
- Charges against police chief have Springdale mayor crying foul
- Development involving former Heights Elementary to expand
- Allegheny Township board approves RV sales lot on Route 356
- Tax delinquency’s impact varies in Valley
- Prospective Eagle Scouts line up for Lower Burrell community projects
- Student artwork covers walls of Harmar Township Municipal Building
- RV dealer seeks ‘breathing room’ in Allegheny Township
- Alle-Kiski car dealers ready for thaw