| Neighborhoods

Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Dog dies in Springdale house fire

Email Newsletters

Sign up for one of our email newsletters.
By Braden Ashe
Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013, 11:45 p.m.

A house fire in Springdale early Sunday killed the residents' dog before firefighters could put out the flames.

Chief Kevin Wilhelm of the Springdale Borough Volunteer Fire Department said crews were dispatched about 1 a.m. to the house on Oakwood Street. Firefighters contained the fire to the master bedroom and extinguished it within half an hour, he said.

The dog was apparently stuck in the bedroom when the fire broke out, according to Wilhelm. No one was injured.

Wilhelm was unsure if the residents were home at the time or arrived when the fire crews did.

The resident and neighbors could not be reached for comment.

The Allegheny County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating.

Braden Ashe is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4673 or

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.



Show commenting policy

Most-Read AlleKiski Valley

  1. At-home schooling on snow days far from reality
  2. Saxonburg machine shop 3 generations strong
  3. New Christmas decorations make Leechburg shine a little brighter
  4. Volunteers get West Deer church’s train display back on track
  5. Small Business Saturday a boon to Alle-Kiski Valley merchants
  6. Puppy, pals come to rescue of Lower Burrell firefighters
  7. Body found in Allegheny River in Harrison
  8. Cheswick super fan, 90, has had season tickets for almost 70 years
  9. Police investigate reports bus driver allowed Fox Chapel students to change clothes
  10. South Butler students push composting as a way to slow food waste
  11. Pair of crashes snarl Route 28 traffic