Bad rap: Woman chaperoning Springdale High dance accused of assaulting female student over music
A Springdale Junior-Senior High School dance chaperone is charged for allegedly grabbing a 16-year-old girl's arm in a dispute about rap music.
Dana Kris Schreckengost, 40, of Philomena Circle in Harmar is accused of simple assault and a summary count of harassment for an Oct. 5 incident at the Allegheny Valley Fire Hall in Springdale Township.
The township police affidavit filed in the case accuses Schreckengost of “accosting” a teenage girl “for playing too much rap music at the dance.”
Police allege the girl ran into the bathroom to get away, but the woman followed “pointing her finger in her face and swearing at her.”
Schreckengost is accused of grabbing the teen by her arm and continuing to scream at her.
The girl went into a bathroom stall, where Schreckengost demanded she open the stall door and told her to quit crying, police said.According to the affidavit, police weren't notified of the incident by Springdale High School officials and learned about it when the girl and her mother went to the police station on Oct. 9. The charges were filed two days later in the office of District Judge David J. Sosovicka.
A clerk said the charges would be mailed to Schreckengost. A preliminary hearing will be scheduled.
The high school is part of the Allegheny Valley School District.
A letter sent to district parents said the district is continuing its investigation and “will process all information” to “determine appropriate action.”
The district is continuing to “review practices for parent-sponsored and school sponsored events.”
Chuck Biedka is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison woman burned in trailer fire
- Home invasion reported in Tarentum
- PennDOT response fails to satisfy New Kensington’s safety concerns about Route 366
- Marine recalls Saigon: April 30, 1975 — the day the U.S. Embassy closed
- Tarentum fire hits vehicles, garage
- Saxonburg man pleads no contest to setting boy, 7, on fire
- Charges filed in June stabbing of Buffalo Township sailor
- Woman who stabbed while naked in McKees Rocks believed to be in New Kensington area
- Deer Lakes hires part-time communications coordinator
- Gas prices are falling, but Pittsburgh area lags behind average
- Harrison considers options for Pittsburgh Heritage Trail through township