| Neighborhoods

Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Vandergrift man charged with assaulting police

Thomas Steven Cassidy, charged with assaulting Vandergrift police officers.
Friday, Jan. 3, 2014, 6:12 p.m.

The owner of a Vandergrift house that was the origin of a fire that destroyed his home and two others a week ago is in the Westmoreland County jail.

Vandergrift police charged Thomas Steven Cassidy, 40, of 519 Burns St. with aggravated assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness stemming from incidents the night of the fire on Dec. 27.

Police have not charged Cassidy in connection with the fire.

The cause of the fire that destroyed Cassidy's home, two others and a garage remains under investigation, said Steve Potoka, chief of Vandergrift No. 2 Fire Department.

Potoka said the fire started in a room at the back of Cassidy's home, which West-moreland County property records show he bought in July.

Investigators on Thursday were sifting through the debris and sending evidence to a laboratory for analysis, Potoka said. The fire was considered suspicious.

The state police fire marshal who is investigating the fire could not be reached for comment on Friday.

In court documents, two Vandergrift police officers responding to the fire about 10:30 p.m. said they found Cassidy standing in front of his house “screaming and yelling.” Officers knew the man was Cassidy because they had arrested him for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct earlier that evening.

Police had been called to 519 Burns about 5 p.m. Police said Cassidy was burning boxes in a fire pit under his back deck, in violation of the borough's restrictions on open burning.

Cassidy allegedly became confrontational with police, and was taken into custody to “sober up.” He was cited for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct and taken home about 8 p.m.

In the second encounter, police said they repeatedly told Cassidy to get across the street and stay out of the way of firefighters. They allege he refused to obey their orders.

After officers told Cassidy he was under arrest, they say he pulled away when they tried to handcuff him. The officers said they had to wrestle Cassidy to the ground. Cassidy continued to fight with officers by pushing them and trying to crawl away, they say.

One officer, Lee Bartolicius, suffered an injured left hand during the fracas.

In the Vandergrift police station, Cassidy allegedly told police he wanted to kill himself by taking one of the officers' guns and shooting himself in the head.

Cassidy was taken to Allegheny Valley Hospital for a mental health evaluation, and was later transferred to Butler Memorial Hospital's mental health ward. He was arrested upon being released from the hospital on Thursday, police said.

Cassidy was arraigned on Thursday before Judge Cheryl Peck-Yakopec and jailed on $100,000 straight bond. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 14 in Peck-Yakopec's office in Allegheny Township.

Brian C. Rittmeyer is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4701 or

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.



Show commenting policy

Most-Read AlleKiski Valley

  1. Mia Z voices no regrets after failing to advance on NBC show
  2. Teen girls to get all done up for free in prom prep day
  3. Slide threatens to block access to Harmar neighborhood
  4. Route 819 in Bell Township reopened after fatal car accident
  5. Retired New Kensington attorney Robert McVey spent life helping people
  6. Washington Township awards $244,000 street-paving contract
  7. SUVs collide near Laneville bridge; truck flips in Washington Township crash
  8. Despite deficit, no tax hike in Burrell School District
  9. Leaking gas prompts major line replacement in Arnold
  10. Trio of programs fights drug problem around Western Pennsylvania
  11. Golf resort in Plum being demolished; use for property undecided