Frazer supervisors back gas drilling under Deer Lakes Park
Frazer supervisors are on board with plans to drill for natural gas in Deer Lakes Park.
Supervisors voted 3-0 on Tuesday night to support the plans of Allegheny County, Range Resources and Huntley & Huntley for drilling rights in the 1,180-acre park that straddles Frazer and West Deer townships.
Contained in the resolution are items in the lease that include Frazer benefiting from expanded water testing, drilling companies meeting bond requirements for road use and repair, a $2 million park improvement fund and at least two job fairs to provide information about employment opportunities in the energy industry.
Tuesday night's action preceded Wednesday's public meeting at 7 p.m. at Deer Lakes High School.
No residents spoke for or against the resolution.
In other business
• Officials said Frazer hopes to pave its end of Murryhill Road after East Deer is finished paving up to the Frazer border.
Paving Riddle Run Road Extension is on Frazer's wish list.
The road paving list might be expanded, once officials get prices on asphalt for this summer.
Tar and chipping is also scheduled this summer on Yutes Run and Clark's Pike roads.
The township has $180,000 budgeted for roadwork this year.
Act 13 money from natural gas drilling might become available later this year for more paving.
• The Liquor Control Board notified supervisors that an unused liquor license is being reassigned to Frazer Restaurants, LLC, to hold the license in the event another restaurant takes over the former Dingbat's location.
Because the license was transferred within a municipality, there was no need for a public hearing.
• Officials reminded residents of Saturday's event for hard to recycle items in the parking lot of the former Dingbat's Restaurant.
Free recycling of electronic devices, televisions, vegetable oil and other items will take place.
Some items will require collection fees, such as $3 for old tires without rims.
For more information, call 412-488-7490, ext. 236.
George Guido is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Kensington slaying victims identified
- Harmar supervisor demands colleague’s resignation
- Drills put police, teachers in danger zone
- Freeport Bridge reopens, Route 356 traffic still affected
- $9 million tentative agreement reached for Rock Airport property in West Deer
- ‘Everyone is Italian’ at Festa Italiana di Vandergrift
- Lower Burrell teen uses operatic gift to support Alzheimer’s charity
- Frazer, Winfield, Harrison townships receive Sustainable Pennsylvania Community Certification
- Telemedicine makes ‘21st century house call’ possible in Western Pa.
- Boaters have run of Allegheny River as Army Corps temporarily reopens 4 locks
- Apollo-Ridge board considers publishing tax deadbeats’ names