Apollo to present Salute to the Armed Forces with fireworks on July 4
The Apollo Salute to the Armed Forces will be held again this year, complete with a fireworks display, although it's still not known how a girl was burned at last year's show.
For this year, the July 4 event has been moved from Owens Field to the Apollo Plaza.
Fireworks will be launched over the Kiski River from the opposite bank, said Vince Mazzon, chairman of the committee that stages the event.
Mazzon said New Castle-based Pyrotecnico will again be used for the fireworks display.
Pyrotecnico declared it would investigate the apparent accident at the 2013 Salute to the Armed Forces, in which 14-year-old Brooke Wright suffered second-degree burns to her legs during the fireworks show at Owens Field.
The company said it would share its findings with the public, but never has. Pyrotecnico President and CEO Stephen Vitale did not respond to several calls for comment. Jennifer Mason, an attorney representing Pyrotecnico, also did not return calls for comment.
No other agencies or authorities are known to have looked into it.
Mazzon said he's been told the company is still investigating.
“It was an accident,” Mazzon said. “We asked the opinion of people in town here (on whether to continue). The people we talked to saw no reason to stop the event. It wasn't something we could control. We moved it and we're going to go forward with it.”
Wright's mother, Lisa Culp, referred comment to her attorney, Mark Milsop.
Milsop said they have a “good idea” what happened, but the accident remains an “ongoing matter.” No court cases have been filed, he said.
Regarding this year's event, Milsop said, “I hope they've had the input of people who have expertise in safety and that they are now in a position that no one will ever be hit again.”
Owens Field is owned by the Apollo-Ridge School District. Superintendent Matt Curci said the district “is not considering requests for any fireworks-related events” there. The Salute to the Armed Forces group did not ask to use the stadium this year, Curci said.
“We thought it would be better to move it,” Mazzon said.
Apollo has given permission for the plaza to be used for the event, Borough Manager Cindee McDermott said. She said no fireworks will be launched in the borough.
The event has been held at the plaza before, when Owens Field was being rebuilt, Mazzon said.
Mazzon said the event will follow the same program as prior years, serving as a salute to past, present and fallen military members, capped by fireworks.
Holding the event without fireworks was not considered, Mazzon said.
“It's what Apollo's known for on the Fourth of July,” he said. “It's a tradition and we want to keep it going.”
Mazzon said they've been asked to keep the event going at least until 2016, when Apollo will celebrate its bicentennial, and they're going to try.
Fundraising for this year's show is coming up short, he said.
Mazzon said he hopes people will come out not just for the fireworks, but to show respect and support for the military and honor the families of those who have died in the service of their nation.
“These men and women put their lives on the line every day for us,” he said. “This is a small way to show our respect for them.”
Brian C. Rittmeyer is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- A-K Valley public pools deal with deficits, repair costs, lower attendance
- Despite flat tire, driver refuses to stop
- Natrona Heights Scoutmaster proud to carry on tradition
- Haiti native teaches Creole to missionaries at Zion United Methodist Church
- Lower Burrell officers recognized for ending theft ring
- Route 28 reopens after motorcycle crash near Fox Chapel
- Lower Burrell sewer projects will cost millions
- Apollo Borough embarks on rental reform with notices to landlords
- Blessings in a Backpack to help feed Verner Elementary students
- Leechburg Area School District contracts with Pittsburgh firm for online database
- New Kensington-Arnold principals given new duties to reflect realignment