TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Morning fire guts family's house in Buffalo Township; no one injured

How to help

Donations for the family can be dropped off or sent to Center United Methodist Church, 1573 Donnellville Road, Fawn Township. The church can be reached at 724-226-2300.

Daily Photo Galleries

AlleKiski Valley Photo Galleries

By Emily Balser
Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 9:48 a.m.
 

Neighbors and family helped carry what items could be retrieved from the charred remains of a house Tuesday morning in Buffalo Township as firefighters put out the last hot spots.

About 30 firefighters responded to the fire at 403 Sarver Road after the call came in at 7:15 a.m., said Chief Matt Cypher with the Buffalo Township Volunteer Fire Department.

“When we pulled on the scene the garage was fully involved,” Cypher said.

The fire spread from the garage to the attic. Cypher said the fire was under control after about half an hour on the scene.

Gabriel Pawlowski, 35, was living in the house that was built by his grandfather with his wife, Sarah Pawlowski, and two children, Izzi, 3, and Elijah, 9 months.

He woke up to his wife yelling there was a fire and they needed to get the kids out. He was able to pull the kids out through a window before the fire spread.

“As soon as we got the kids out, the entire garage was engulfed in flames,” Gabriel Pawlowski said.

Pawlowski was hoping the damage from the fire wouldn't be too bad, but realized putting the fire out also caused some damage.

“You don't think about the water,” he said.

The fire happened just a day after a celebration for the family.

“It was my birthday yesterday,” he said.

Cypher said the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical and to have started in the garage.

“I think it could have been an extension cord, but I don't know,” Gabriel Pawlowski said.

Cypher said the damage to the house is estimated at $150,000 to $180,000.

No one was injured. It is under investigation by the state fire marshal's office.

“Unfortunately it's a loss for the family, but they were able to save some stuff,” Cypher said.

Emily Balser is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-226-7710 or ebalser@tribweb.com.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read AlleKiski Valley

  1. Gunfire plagues New Kensington
  2. Arnold man charged after 20-mile chase
  3. Stable neighborhood key to flipping houses
  4. Native Americans honor rich heritage at Indiana Township pow wow
  5. Chamber of Commerce puts Tour de StrongLand on ‘hiatus’
  6. Westminster Place in Oakmont redesigned to make residents feel at home
  7. Glen’s Custard, an Alle-Kiski Valley staple, expands its reach
  8. Leechburg Area School Board to host forum on gas-drilling proposal
  9. Woman accused of arson in Vandergrift church
  10. Harrison man accused of selling drugs near Leechburg Area High School
  11. Gilpin police suspensions rescinded, but officers return unclear
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.