Morning fire guts family's house in Buffalo Township; no one injured
Neighbors and family helped carry what items could be retrieved from the charred remains of a house Tuesday morning in Buffalo Township as firefighters put out the last hot spots.
About 30 firefighters responded to the fire at 403 Sarver Road after the call came in at 7:15 a.m., said Chief Matt Cypher with the Buffalo Township Volunteer Fire Department.
“When we pulled on the scene the garage was fully involved,” Cypher said.
The fire spread from the garage to the attic. Cypher said the fire was under control after about half an hour on the scene.
Gabriel Pawlowski, 35, was living in the house that was built by his grandfather with his wife, Sarah Pawlowski, and two children, Izzi, 3, and Elijah, 9 months.
He woke up to his wife yelling there was a fire and they needed to get the kids out. He was able to pull the kids out through a window before the fire spread.
“As soon as we got the kids out, the entire garage was engulfed in flames,” Gabriel Pawlowski said.
Pawlowski was hoping the damage from the fire wouldn't be too bad, but realized putting the fire out also caused some damage.
“You don't think about the water,” he said.
The fire happened just a day after a celebration for the family.
“It was my birthday yesterday,” he said.
Cypher said the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical and to have started in the garage.
“I think it could have been an extension cord, but I don't know,” Gabriel Pawlowski said.
Cypher said the damage to the house is estimated at $150,000 to $180,000.
No one was injured. It is under investigation by the state fire marshal's office.
“Unfortunately it's a loss for the family, but they were able to save some stuff,” Cypher said.
Emily Balser is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-226-7710 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Arnold man to stand trial in overdose death
- Pittsburgh Street in Springdale to close April 10
- ‘I-Run Days’ helps promote student fitness, self-esteem
- Harmar eagles abandon their nest
- Allegheny Township dentist to help those in need on mission trip to Belize
- Vandergrift Sons of America gives back to the community
- Battle of Fawn fire departments heats up
- Leadership Butler County aims to benefit community with pavilion project
- OSHA fines East Deer company $70,000 in aftermath of worker’s electrocution
- Mother of Kiski student files lawsuit against bus company, driver
- Oakmont Dems endorse council convert