2 Leechburg men suffer 'significant' injuries in Allegheny Township rollover crash
Two 18-year-old Leechburg men were seriously injured on Thursday when their car landed on its roof along Hyde Park Road.
Allegheny Township police Chief John Fontaine said the crash occurred about 11:40 a.m. in the area of 861 Hyde Park Road.
Fontaine said Derrike Roppolo, 18, of Leechburg was driving a Hyundai Accent toward Hyde Park when he apparently lost control on the wet pavement.
The car veered into a yard, sheared off a 12-inch-thick pine tree and rolled onto its roof about 30 feet from the road. The tree landed on the car.
Fontaine said Roppolo was able to crawl from the car before police arrived, but it took emergency responders about a half hour to remove his passenger, Alexander Lee, 18, of Leechburg, from the wreckage.
Medics planned to fly at least one of the victims to a Pittsburgh-area hospital, but Fontaine said medical helicopters were unable to fly because of the weather.
He said both teens were taken to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh for treatment.
Fontaine said both victims had “significant” injuries, but he did not believe they were life-threatening. He said both teens were alert and speaking at the scene.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
“We believe speed was a factor,” Fontaine said.
Liz Hayes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 2 New Kensington-Arnold candidates removed from primary ballot
- Man in New Kensington standoff charged
- Vandergrift Sons of America gives back to the community
- Leechburg hosts vigil to halt drugs, violence in the community
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Freshman arrested in Burrell High School bomb threat
- Plum police search for home invasion suspect
- Bomb threat clears Apollo-Ridge High School
- OSHA fines East Deer company $70,000 in aftermath of worker’s electrocution
- Kiski Area Intermediate School band chosen to play at state conference
- Police end standoff with New Kensington man