2 Leechburg men suffer 'significant' injuries in Allegheny Township rollover crash
Two 18-year-old Leechburg men were seriously injured on Thursday when their car landed on its roof along Hyde Park Road.
Allegheny Township police Chief John Fontaine said the crash occurred about 11:40 a.m. in the area of 861 Hyde Park Road.
Fontaine said Derrike Roppolo, 18, of Leechburg was driving a Hyundai Accent toward Hyde Park when he apparently lost control on the wet pavement.
The car veered into a yard, sheared off a 12-inch-thick pine tree and rolled onto its roof about 30 feet from the road. The tree landed on the car.
Fontaine said Roppolo was able to crawl from the car before police arrived, but it took emergency responders about a half hour to remove his passenger, Alexander Lee, 18, of Leechburg, from the wreckage.
Medics planned to fly at least one of the victims to a Pittsburgh-area hospital, but Fontaine said medical helicopters were unable to fly because of the weather.
He said both teens were taken to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh for treatment.
Fontaine said both victims had “significant” injuries, but he did not believe they were life-threatening. He said both teens were alert and speaking at the scene.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
“We believe speed was a factor,” Fontaine said.
Liz Hayes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alle-Kiski Valley sports legend known for being ‘sincere’
- Several Alle-Kiski pools were overhauled to make facilities more attractive
- New Kensington Megan’s Law offender jailed on new child porn charges
- PennDOT puts final touches on Route 28 construction
- Armed bandit holds up Leechburg gas station
- Harmar OKs Sheetz land development plan
- Virginia man to stand trial in Armstrong molestation case
- Harrison eyes liens against rundown properties
- VND photographers, reporters recognized
- Allegheny Valley Hospital names New Kensington man CEO
- Gaschler, 19, expects to be able to balance college, school board duties