TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

No injuries in smoky Tarentum fire Monday morning

Jason Bridge | Trib Total Media - Eureka firefighters advance a hose line into the home at 330 E. Eighth Ave. in Tarentum to battle a basement fire on Monday, Aug. 11, 2014.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Jason Bridge  |  Trib Total Media</em></div>Eureka firefighters advance a hose line into the home at 330 E. Eighth Ave. in Tarentum to battle a basement fire on Monday, Aug. 11, 2014.
JASON BRIDGE | Trib Total Media - No one was injured in this smoky basement fire at 330 E. Eighth Ave. in Tarentum on Monday, Aug. 11, 2014
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>JASON BRIDGE | Trib Total Media</em></div>No one was injured in this smoky basement fire at 330 E. Eighth Ave. in Tarentum on Monday, Aug. 11, 2014
Jason Bridge | Trib Total Media - Eureka firefighters advance a hose line into the home at 330 E. Eighth Ave. in Tarentum to battle a basement fire on Monday, Aug. 11, 2014.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>Jason Bridge  |  Trib Total Media</em></div>Eureka firefighters advance a hose line into the home at 330 E. Eighth Ave. in Tarentum to battle a basement fire on Monday, Aug. 11, 2014.

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

AlleKiski Valley Photo Galleries

Monday, Aug. 11, 2014, 10:48 a.m.
 

No one was injured on Monday morning in a smoky basement fire in Tarentum.

Four departments responded around 9:30 a.m. to the fire in a 2 12-story brick house at 330 E. Eighth Ave.

Bill Brucker, assistant fire chief for Highland Hose Company in Tarentum, said the fire started in the basement when items around a dehumidifier were set ablaze.

The homeowner, Joyce Lunsford, said she was getting ready for work on the first floor when she smelled smoke. She left the house for a neighbor's with her 10-year-old son and their dog. Lundsford's husband was at work.

“It had a distinct smell, like a furnace burning,” Lunsford said. “We got out of the house right away. I thought it was going to explode.”

Black plumes of smoke had spread to the second story by the time firefighters arrived. They opened most of the windows to ventilate the smoke and attacked the fire with hand lines, Brucker said.

The Lunsfords' cat remained in the house during the fire, but was believed to be alive. Firefighters said they saw it hiding on the second floor as they ventilated the house.

Brucker said the first and second floors sustained some smoke damage, but that the house appeared “inhabitable.”

An investigation by the Allegheny County Fire Marshal's Office was ongoing Monday.

Braden Ashe is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4673 or bashe@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read AlleKiski Valley

  1. Good season predicted for region’s boaters
  2. Roaring Run mountain bike trail to be thrust into limelight
  3. New Kensington constructs Little Free Library
  4. Knoch thrower’s 2nd gold medal highlights big day for A-K Valley athletes at PIAA track meet
  5. PennDOT puts final touches on Route 28 construction
  6. New Kensington Megan’s Law offender jailed on new child porn charges
  7. Virginia man to stand trial in Armstrong molestation case
  8. Harmar OKs Sheetz land development plan
  9. Allegheny Valley Hospital names New Kensington man CEO
  10. VND photographers, reporters recognized
  11. Heated discussion causes ruckus at Springdale polling station