Chartiers Valley Middle School students earn science distinction
Students at the Chartiers Valley Middle School held their annual Night of Science last month.
Students from three sixth-grade classes submitted experiments with the top experiment in each category advancing in the Pittsburgh Regional Science Fair at Heinz Field on April 5.
Judges included Bayer scientists Steven Reinstadtler, Kayla Reed, Michelle Latta, Eric Saks and Nancy Aldstadt.
Some of the students who received awards at the Night of Science included:
• Brittany Reinstadtler and Emma Trombetta, first place for “Kids Corner,” in chemistry.
• Abbey Collins, second-place finish for “Durability of Play-Doh,” in chemistry.
• Bryanna Zrelak, third place in “Get Cracking with Crystals,” in chemistry.
• Sixth-grader Abbie Trybus, “How to Kill Weeds,” second-place finish, biology.
• Dean Roth, first-place finish for “Blowhard,” in biology.
• Breanna Parker, first-place finish for “Energy Waves,” in engineering.
A Chartiers Valley School District teacher has earned National Board Certification.
Kathy Cochin is the 15th teacher to do so.
National Board Certification is an advanced teaching credential that is valid for 10 years and is available nationwide to teachers at all levels. The certification is achieved upon completion of a voluntary assessment program designed to recognize effective and accomplished teachers who meet high standards based on what teachers should know and be able to do.
Some of the other Chartiers Valley teachers who have earned the certification include Amanda Bautista, Pam Kramer, Roberta Moore, Jaime Sherry, and Sheila Shoats.
The Chartiers Valley Class of 2012 is invited to participate in the district's annual alumni advisory luncheon.
Administrators and teachers want to know how well the district prepared students for their lives after high school. Feedback is important.
The luncheon will be held from noon to 2 p.m. on Dec. 19 at the LGI Room at the high school.
For more information, call 412-429-2390.
Jeff Widmer is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5810 or email@example.com.