Boundary and municipal changes make research difficult in the Bridgeville area
Our efforts to research information about the Bridgeville area in the early days is frequently frustrated by our not knowing for sure what jurisdiction is appropriate for this region during a specific time frame. This column is an effort to record what we know and what we speculate regarding this subject.
Before the settlers arrived, this area was controlled by the Iroquois Confederation, who had conquered it from the Allegewi. By the mid-1700s, both France and England laid claim to this area. Capt. Celeron de Blainville descended the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers in 1749 and buried lead plates, documenting France's claim to the Ohio country.
Shortly thereafter the Virginian Ohio Company began to occupy the same area by sending a small group of Virginians to the Forks of the Ohio to build Fort Prince George as evidence of their claim.
The French responded with a large expedition of French and Canadian troops, supplemented by an equally large number of Indians. Fort Prince George was surrendered to the superior force and replaced by the French Fort Duquesne.
After unsuccessful expeditions led by Washington and by Gen. Edward Braddock, in 1758 Gen. John Forbes defeated the French, and replaced Fort Duquesne with Fort Pitt. This was the end of French influence in North America.
English sovereignty over the Ohio country immediately triggered a dispute between the colonies of Pennsylvania and Virginia regarding ownership of this region. Pennsylvania claimed it as part of Cumberland County; Virginia, as part of Augusta County.
In 1771, Bedford County was formed from the western part of Cumberland; two years later, Westmoreland County was formed from Bedford, with its county seat at Hanna's Town, near Greensburg. The area west of the Monongahela was designated Pitt Township. Virginia responded by establishing Yoghogania County, with its country seat at Pittsburgh.
The advent of the Revolutionary War postponed resolution of the dispute until 1781. That year the two states agreed to a compromise that gave Virginia what is now the West Virginia Panhandle and established Pennsylvania's current western border.
Pennsylvania then established Washington County, covering all the land south of the Ohio River and west of the Monongahela. A map of the county in 1787 shows the area west of Chartiers Creek in Cecil Township; that east of the creek, in Dickinson Township. Initially Peters Township extended north to the Monongahela River. In 1786 Dickinson Township was formed from the northern part of Peters.
In 1788 Allegheny County was established from the northern part of Washington County. Its southern boundary was described: “Beginning at the mouth of Flaherty's Run on the south side of the Ohio River, from thence by a straight line to the plantation on which Joseph Scott, Esq., now lives on Montoure's Run, to include the same; from thence on a straight line to the mouth of Miller's Run on Chartiers Creek; thence by a straight line to the mouth of Perry's Mill Run on the east side of the Monongahela River …”
The next year the boundary was redefined: “Beginning at … White's mill, on Raccoon Creek; from thence by a straight line to Armstrong's mill, on Miller's Run; and from thence by a straight line to the Monongahela River, opposite the mouth of Perry's Run.” This is the current southern boundary of Allegheny County.
The portion of the county west of Chartiers Creek was Moon Township; that between Chartiers Creek and the Monongahela River, St. Clair Township. In 1790 the portion of Moon Township east of Montour's Run was spun off to form Fayette Township. In turn Robinson Township was spun off from Fayette in 1801. In 1846 the remaining Fayette Township split into North and South Fayette Townships. Collier Township was formed in 1875 from parts of South Fayette, North Fayette and Robinson townships.
Similar changes occurred with St. Clair Township. It was subdivided into Upper St. Clair and Lower St. Clair townships in 1836. The area comprising Lower St. Clair is now within the Pittsburgh city limits; Upper St. Clair spun off all the current municipalities in this area, including Bridgeville (1901).
It is easy to understand how historical researchers become frustrated when one recognizes the numerous changes in just the relatively small Bridgeville area. The strip of land that today is Bridgeville Borough was originally part of Iroquois territory and then French domain, before becoming part of Pennsylvania — Bedford County, Westmoreland County (Pitt Township), followed by Washington County (Peters Township), Washington County (Dickinson Township), Allegheny County (St. Clair Township), and Allegheny County (Upper St. Clair Township) before its incorporation in 1901.
John Oyler, a columnist for Trib Total Media, can be reached at 412-343-1652 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Stories of the past come to life at Carnegie Historical Society
- Carnegie motorcycle rental business offers ‘travel experience’
- Rennerdale artist displays years of work in Loretto museum
- Green Tree officials search for new police chief
- Chartiers Valley remembers those who gave their lives
- Carlynton proposes property tax hike
- Scott ‘Charter Oak’ sprouts tales of marking border between Pa., Virginia
- Bridgeville native to perform in ‘Mary Poppins’
- Carlynton student’s Girl Scout project going to the dogs
- Carnegie incumbent gets unseated