Secession supporters in Rosslyn Farms file appeal
Rosslyn Farms residents wishing to leave the Carlynton School District aren't taking “no” for an answer.
The petitioners and their attorney, Anthony Mengine, filed an appeal with the state Department of Education after their initial petition was denied by the department last month.
“This is, has always been and will always be about providing the best educational outcome for all of the children,” Mengine said in a prepared statement.
Carlynton officials had opposed the transfer. Chartiers Valley administrators remained neutral.
The residents originally petitioned the state in July 2011 to secede from the Carlynton School District and join Chartiers Valley. Deputy Secretary of Education Carolyn Dumaresq issued the denial May 30. The denial cited a need to keep both districts contiguous – all municipalities in the district connect. A Rosslyn Farms pullout would leave both Carlynton and Chartiers Valley non-contiguous.
The denial also cited a lack of significant difference in the academics and curriculum at the two schools, something with which Mengine disagrees.
“The preliminary findings ignored factual, measurable statistics that clearly demonstrate the educational merit of this transfer,” he said. Based on this evidence, he said, it is “in the best interest of the current and future school-aged children of Rosslyn Farms” that the transfer be approved.
When the petition was filed in 2011, about 78 percent of 371 taxable Rosslyn Farms residents supported the petition. Mengine noted that 60 percent of Rosslyn Farms households with school-aged children “remain committed to this transfer.”
The petitioners and Mengine have requested an administrative hearing with the secretary of education.
Megan Guza is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5810.
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments â either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.