Chartiers Valley approves next year's spending plan
The Chartiers Valley School Board voted unanimously at its June 25 meeting to approve the district's $54,698,532 budget for 2013-14.
The budget includes an increase of $2,480,584 to account for rising pension costs, according to Superintendent Brian White.
The millage was approved at 16.2175 mills — down 3.6625 mills from last year — to remain revenue neutral in accordance with the county's property reassessments.
In addition to approving the budget, the board also approved salary increases for White and assistant superintendents Scott Seltzer and Yvonne Hawkins.
White was hired in 2010 at a salary of $135,000 per year, but numbers regarding the increase to his and Seltzer's and Hawkins' salaries were not immediately available.
The district also made the following personnel moves:
• Approved the retirement of secretary Nancy Hayes, custodian Donald Zinger and skilled trades laborer Ed Laskowsky.
• Approved the hiring of Susan Nagy to the position of intermediate school instruction aide at a pay rate of $10.10 per hour.
• Approved Jaime Hick as DECA sponsor with a stipend of $2,000.
• Approved the following proctors for the Keystone Exams with a stipend of $135 per day:
Vanessa Cruise, Kathy Kochin, Sally Shollenberger, Liz Speicher, Amanda Bautista and Gretchen Wentz.
• Approved the following department chairs for 2013-14 with a stipend of $3,041 for the year:
Cathy Jenkins, performing and fine arts; Mark McAleer, technology education; Karen Belcastro, foreign language and business; Diane Daeschner, heath/physical education and family/consumer science; Sue Marino, science; and Annie Pitassi, nurse.
• Approved Alec Kinslow as an auditorium student worker at a rate of $7.50 per hour.
• Approved Scott Vaughan as an after-school detention monitor with a stipend of $948.
• Approved the contract renewal of the following:
Robert Butts, administrative practitioner; Jason Gardner, lead technology technician; Michael Rabinovitz, technology technician; Barb Bass, technology technician; Patrick Langan, technology technician; Arlen Stabbe, technology technician; Chuck McCartney, coordinator of public relations; Timothy McConnell, operations coordinator; Nicholas Morelli, director of finance and support operation; Kim Bartnett, business manager; Lisa Polidora, intervention specialist; Megan Colt, collegiate coordinator.
Megan Guza is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5810 or email@example.com.