Hypothetical tour of Bridgeville result of 1893 painting
Published: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
This is the second half of a two-column sequence reporting on the ninth presentation in the Bridgeville Public Library/Bridgeville Area Historical Society series “Bridgeville Remembered.”
It features a hypothetical walk around Bridgeville in 1893, based on Frank Russell's painting of the community as it appeared that year. Last week was devoted to the left half of the painting, ending up at the top of Bank Street.
This week, we will consider the right half of Russell's painting.
Far to the south one can see Melrose Cemetery, which went into operation in the 1880s.
Prominent houses on the Pike include “the old Donaldson House” at 745 Washington Ave., the Morgan family home and store, the Roach residence, Dr. S. R. Kildoo's residence and office and Mary Jane Lesnett's rental houses.
The houses on James Street were called “Murray's Row” on the painting. Proceeding up Chartiers Street from the Washington Pike, one passes two homes owned by James and John Roach before reaching the bridge over the railroad. This bridge is dubbed “the dry bridge,” and the neighborhood along Dewey Avenue is designated “Dry Town” on the painting.
A Boyce family occupies a house at the corner of Dewey and Chartiers Streets. Wesley McMillen has a home on Orchard Avenue. The large home of Benjamin Hastings is at the corner of Chartiers and Chestnut streets.
We must use our imagination to fill in most of the rest of the community.
Bethany Church and its manse are at the southern end. The Rev. Anthony Mealy replaced Rev. Sheeley in 1892, depriving the local residents of the spectacle of the minister pedaling furiously up the Pike on his high-wheeled bicycle, with his long white beard trailing behind.
In 1894 Roman Catholic Bishop Phelan dispatched Monsignor Steven Walsh to Bridgeville to establish a parish. Their first services were held in a vacant store front at 207 Washington Ave.
Walsh was succeeded by the Rev. Thomas Gillen and then by the Rev. Roger Doherty. The priests lived with the Joseph Lutz family, at the corner of Murray and Washington avenues.
In 1892, a new school was built on Washington Avenue at the location of the future Washington Grade School. It was a two-story, frame building.
The first class to complete 11 years of schooling graduated in 1893. A photograph of the class includes Mary Melvin, Grace Lesnett, Mary Jones, Leith Baird and Edna Fryer. Also included is a man identified as A. M. Kelley, apparently their teacher.
At the corner of Bower Hill Road and Washington Avenue was Billy Winstein's store, a popular gathering spot in the building previously known as Murray Hall.
Winstein came to Bridgeville in the 1880s. In addition to his mercantile career, his fiddle playing was the highlight of local dances and concerts.
Another prominent businessman to arrive in Bridgeville was John F. Hosack. He came from Mercer County where he had a successful coal mining career, and purchased the Bridgeville mine from Schulte & Mayer in 1895. He also established a prosperous business selling “Coal, Flour, & Feed.”
The Bridgeville Hotel, owned and operated by Matt Mallory, was well established at this time. Never as elegant as the Norwood, this facility served for many years as a temporary home for newly arrived working families in the community. Immigrants from Europe continued to arrive during the 1890s — Andrew Bonosky, Joseph Browner, Joseph Hollman, Jimmy Lynch, Isaiah Rovesti, Jacob Shadish, Stephen Vosel, John Wolf and William Woodall — and make their contribution to the “melting pot.”
Three miles south of Bridgeville, on Chartiers Creek, the institution that would be known as Mayview State Hospital was opened by the City of Pittsburgh in 1893 as a replacement for their almshouse.
It was originally called Marshalsea, named for the famous London debtors' prison. The negative connotations of the name resulted in its being changed to Mayview in 1916. A haven for the indigent, orphans, unwed mothers, the mentally ill and for folks suffering from tuberculosis, the institution served 340 inmates in the 1890s.
By the end of the 19th century Bridgeville had become a self-sufficient community with a well- developed business district and residential neighborhoods popping up.
The leading businessmen were busy promoting a plan for Bridgeville to leave Upper St. Clair Township and become an autonomous borough.
The 10th presentation in this series, focusing on Bridgeville's secession from Upper St. Clair Township, will occur at 7 p.m., July 18, in the Community Room at the Bridgeville Public Library.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Library board extends three votes to Carnegie council members
- Olyer: Modern Thanksgiving trip has a familiarly comfortable feeling
- Carlynton school board sets appointments, duties
- Carnegie officials focus on deficit, consider tax hike
- Wilmus family of Bridgeville celebrates birth of daughter
- New personnel, stores, services taking care of Bridgeville area
- Four school directors sworn in on Chartiers Valley board
- Work progressing on apartment complex in Green Tree
- Carnegie mayor selects child to light borough tree
- Notebook: Crafton pool slated for upgrades; Heidelberg property tax rate staying put
- Around Town: Bridgeville boutique opens; Kmart begins ‘lease & go’ program