Scott officials seek to improve blighted properties, roads
Blighted properties in Scott Township have found their way onto officials' radar.
Now they have to try and bring them back into the fold. At Tuesday night's commissioners meeting, officials voted unanimously to join the Allegheny County vacant property recovery program.
The program is a joint effort to make blighted properties profitable again.
It gives interested parties a chance to buy vacant properties and resale them.
“I just wish and hope that something happens so we can get the homes back on the tax records,” said Commissioner Eileen Meyers of Ward 1.
Meyers highlighted areas such as East Carnegie and properties on Hope Hollow Road. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee they will get the money to redeem the homes, Meyers said.
The township's choice to join the program was based on the decision of surrounding communities, Meyers said.
“I saw in the Signal Item that neighboring municipalities were doing it and I asked why Scott Township wasn't.” Additionally, officials approved the year's road improvement program.
They awarded the project to Morgan Excavating LP in the amount of $709,163. Borough Manager Denise Fitzgerald said the programs will mostly repave roads.
“We do this every year,” Fitzgerald said.
The director of public works is responsible for assessing the roads needing repairs. Commissioners then decide which roads will be repaired.
This year's road project includes:
• Peachtree Road from Lindsay Road to Cherry Tree.
• Frontway from Vanadium Road to the railroad tracks.
• Worcester Road from house 1520 to house 1632.
• Robin Drive from Meadow Lane to cul-de-sac.
• Orchard View Drive from house 1452 to Green Oak Lane.
• Robinwood Drive from Cochran Road to Newburn Drive.
• North Wren Drive from Meadowlark Drive to Cardinal Drive.
• Worcester Drive from house 1632 to Vanadium Road.
• Bygate Circle from Hope to the cul-de-sac.
• Newburn Drive from house 374 to Alden Drive.
• Raven Drive from house 1386 to house 1445.
David Paulk is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5804 or firstname.lastname@example.org.