Ann Handerhan is Carnegie's newest centenarian
Carnegie has a new centenarian. Ann Handerhan celebrated her 100th birthday Aug. 2.
Ann has 11 children, 23 grandchildren, 20 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.
She has lived in Carnegie all of her 100 years.
A grand celebration was held at Cefalo's in Carnegie, and Ann's entire family turned out.
• Happy 90th birthday to Joseph M. F. Mulig of Scott Township, who celebrates today, Thursday.
Joe grew up in Walkers Mill with his two brothers and four sisters. He is a longtime resident of Scott.
Joe is a U.S. Navy veteran who served in World War II on the DD Cassin 372. He was married to the late Edna (Wagner) and is father to three daughters — Jo Ann Stenzel, the late Sandra Stewart and the late Vivian Fisher. He has several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
• Happy 93rd birthday to Sara (Schulte) Opaska of Carnegie, who celebrates on Aug. 21.
Sara and her late husband, Charles, who died in 1999, were the parents of Dan (Cathe) Opaska and Nancy Trybus. Sara — also known as Bub or Bubby — is the grandmother of Chris (Carrie) Opaska, Autumn (Tommy) Bergling, Sarah Opaska, Holly (Mike) Biro and Beth (Troy) Lucas. She also has 10 great-grandchildren, including Savannah, Cian, Ayden, Matthew, Madison, Zachery, Harleigh, Nico, Alexis and Logan.
Sara has lived in Carnegie all of her 93 years.
• Happy 21st birthday to Annie Jones, who celebrated Monday in Myrtle Beach.
She graduated from Carlynton High School in 2010 and will start her senior year at the University of Pittsburgh, where she is an industrial-engineering major, and also is president of the Pitt chapter of the Institute of Industrial Engineers.
• Janet and Don Schock of Crafton celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary Wednesday while on vacation in Chautauqua, N.Y., with their children Sam, Julia and Greg.
• Anna Yurchak would like to thank all of her family and friends for sending her cards and gifts while she was home recuperating from a biking accident. Anna is the daughter of Missy and Dave Yurchak and attends Chartiers Valley Middle School.
• Happy 60th birthday to Lorraine Ganoe, who celebrates tomorrow, from her friends Mary Anne, Marie and Lenora. Lorraine is the wife of Jim Ganoe.
• Happy 36th wedding anniversary to Denise (Frasinelli) and Len Kubiak of Scott Township, who will celebrate Tuesday. Denise and Len are the parents of three daughters — Cara (Dave) Gerster, Dana Kubiak and Staci (John) Foran.
They also have four grandchildren — Katie, Kenny, Alyssa and Aaron.
• John Trecki of Rosslyn Heights celebrates another year Tuesday.
John is the husband of Janet Trecki and together they have five children — Mandi, Nicole, John Jr., Jason and Breanna. They are proud of their four grandchildren — Anthony, J.T., Pammy and Danielle. John is the son of Phyllis Trecki of Pittsburgh.
• Happy 13th birthday to Jaden Haygood Calhoun, who will celebrate on Friday. Jaden is the son of Lynnette Haygood and will be in the eighth grade at Carlynton Junior/Senior High School. Jaden has two siblings, J.J. Haygood and Jaila Calhoun.
• Happy 13th birthday to Nathan Budai, who will celebrate Aug. 21. Nathan is the son of Kelly and Michael DiDonne of Scott Township, and he also sisters who are twins, Vienna and Cailin.
• Happy 58th wedding anniversary to Barbara (Konchos) and Frank Capezio of Cloverleaf Estates West, who celebrate Tuesday. They are the parents of four children — Barbara (Kent) Adams of Arizona, Frank Capezio of McMurray, Diane (Tim) Downing of McDonald and Maria Fennell of Butler. Barbara and Frank have five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. • Happy anniversary to Cassie and Danny Bryan of Rosslyn Heights, who celebrate on Aug. 18.
Danny is the son of Joan, of Cubbage Hill, and the late Jack Bryan. Also, happy birthday to Beth (Kenneth) Bryan who celebrates Tuesday. Beth and Kenneth are the parents of three children.
• Lenny and Mark Turnbull of Collier Township will celebrate their 34th wedding anniversary Sunday. They are the parents of Danielle and Jessie. Also, they are proud of two grandchildren, Austin and Travis.
• Happy 11th birthday to Morgan Floyd of Carnegie, who celebrates tomorrow. She is the daughter of Holly (Reiss) Floyd and granddaughter of Betty and Bob Reiss of Carnegie. Morgan has a little brother, Jacob.
• Linda and Bob Kelley of Rosslyn Heights will celebrate their 27th wedding anniversary today.
• Happy 14th birthday to Jacob Kundra of Heidelberg, who celebrates tomorrow. He is the son of Joan and Ken Kundra and grandson of Mary Ann of Cubbage Hill and the late John “Ken” Kundra and Audrey and Ray Teyssier of Glendale.
• Olivia Marie Berbach will celebrate her second birthday Sunday. She is the daughter of Leigh Anne (Mahofski) and Mark Berbach and has a big brother, Nicholas, and big sister, Gabrielle.
• Happy third wedding anniversary to Mary (Corba) and Eric Kizina, who celebrate on Aug. 21. Mary and Eric are the parents of a girl, Mackenzie Jane, who is 1½.
Cindy Babish-Schultz is a Trib Total Media columnist. She can be reached at 412-249-6346 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Oyler: Newspaper articles describe early days of Woodville hospital
- Around Town: Bridgeville billiards hall gets fresh look for leagues
- Officials offer tips to Scott residents after coyote sightings
- Bridgeville VFD plans comedy show benefit
- Building supply company to construct new facility in Scott
- Renovations won’t take away Carnegie library’s historic character
- Heidelberg section of Route 50 parking could get time limit
- Green Tree Farmers Market hosts culinary competition
- W.Pa. girls participate in GirlGov program
- Oyler: Classmates consider Baldwin Street the Main Street of Bridgeville in 1940s