Town Talk: Carnegie's Neva Lampman in exclusive company as centenarian
Neva (Schultz) Lampman of Carnegie will celebrate her 100th birthday on Jan. 21. Neva has been a resident of the Washington Garden Apartments for 23 years, having moved from Niagara Falls, N.Y.
Neva has a daughter, Marilyn Gearhart (Pete) Townsend, and a grandson, Neil Gearhart.
A birthday dinner was celebrated at her daughter's home in Nevillewood.
Neva was born in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, the eldest of three children of Christian and Cora Schultz. When she was 10, her father moved his family “across the bridge” to Niagara Falls, NY, where Neva lived for 76 years, before moving to Carnegie.
She married Neil Lampman, and they had one daughter, Marilyn Gearhart Townsend. Mr. Lampman died in in 1977 after 40 years of marriage.
Neva continues to live independently. She loves her apartment and her neighbors. Her door is always open to share a cup of tea and a cookie or two. She is proud of the fact that she does her own cleaning, laundry and cooking. Baking is her specialty. In addition to her cookies, she loves to bake pies. She saves a slice or two for herself, and then delivers the rest to her neighbors.
She is a member of the Crafton United Methodist Church where she has peeled many a potato for church dinners.
• Happy 85th birthday to Helen (Mike) Catrain of McDonald, who celebrated on Jan. 14. Helen was married to Frank J. Catrain, who was born and raised in McDonald and died in April 1992.
Helen is mom to Bonnie Kriberney, Dennis Catrain Sr, Ron Catrain Sr. and David Catrain. Grandkids include Dennis Catrain Jr., Ron Catrain Jr., Carleen (Catrain) Markivich, Chad Catrain, Kristen Kriberney, Heather (Kriberney) Miller, Cassie Catrain and Katie Catrain. Helen also has two great-grandchildren, John Markivich IV and Kaelynn Markivich.
• Happy 30th birthday to Kristopher Chenette of Carnegie, who celebrates on Jan. 24. Kristopher is the husband of Becca (Smith) and is the son of Linda and Michael Chenette of Jericho, Vt.
Kristopher has one brother John (Amy) and also has two nieces, Lauren and Taylor, who live in New Hampshire. Kristopher's family in the area includes the Granatas of Carnegie and the Smiths of Crafton.
• Congratulations to Joe Welsh of Carnegie, who retired on Dec. 31 from the RE Michel Company in Bethel Park. Joe plans to spend more time with his lovely wife Karen, who celebrates her birthday on Jan. 21. Karen can be seen most days at the Giant Eagle Market District in Settler's Ridge, where she is a cashier.
• Dave Dedola of Rosslyn Heights celebrates his birthday on Jan. 19. Dave is the husband of Lori and they have three sons — Guy, Dean and David.
Dave is the son of Sebastian Dedola of Cloverleaf Estates and the late Lena James Dedola.
• Lesley Rice and Bill Leach of Carnegie are receiving congratulations on the birth of a son, Jameson Ray Leach. Jameson was born on Dec. 26, weighing 7 pounds 14 ounces.
Maternal grandmother is Karyl Rice of Mt. Lebanon, and paternal grandmother is Christine Leach of Carnegie. Awaiting the big arrival at home were siblings Mateo, Gaige, Timothy, Myles and Grace.
• Happy 60th birthday to Maureen (Flaherty) Nelson of Collier, who celebrated on Jan. 5. Maureen is the wife of Jim Nelson and they have two children, Erin (Ryan) Cummings and Brendan (Janna) Nelson. They also have two grandchildren, Meghan and Declan.
• Happy 40th wedding anniversary to Jodi and Dan Spell of Collier, who celebrated on Jan. 5. Jodi and Dan are the parents of Dan of Collier, Jennifer (Bret) Rapier of Virginia, and Dave (Keri)Spell of Jefferson Hills. They also have five grandchildren — Dante Spell, Brynn and Rebecca Rapier and Bailey and Maggie Spell.
• Happy 36th birthday to Jennifer Helbig of Rosslyn Heights, who celebrates on Jan. 22. Jennifer is married to Matt Helbig and they have three sons — Zavier, Gavin and Joey.
• Mary Ann Kundra of Cubbage Hill celebrates her birthday on Jan. 19. Mary Ann is the wife of the late John (Ken) Kundra and they have one son, Ken (Joan) Kundra, and one grandson, Jacob of Heidelberg.
• Birthdays this week include Jordan Steiner, Luba Kay, Sam Sarvas, Gabriel Steiner, Michelle Story Moehring, Pamee Petroski Settina, Paula Gardner, Lucy Kennedy, Mariane Yurchak, Stephanie Ritter, Gina Fiorentini-May, Cheryl Pealer, and Teresa Torchia Zimmerman.
• Birthday wishes to Amanda Kolle, who celebrates her 35th on Jan. 18.
Amanda is the wife of Shawn Conner and mother of three children — William 15, Nathaniel 7 and Harley 4. She's the daughter of Debbie Kolle and the late Charles Kolle of Carnegie.
• Happy second wedding anniversary to Nicole (Zahn) and Mickey Glowark, who celebrate on Jan. 23.
Happy birthday to Nicole, who celebrates her 25th on Feb. 13.
• The Snyder-Lawrence families have many candles to blow out this month. Janet Snyder of Collier celebrates on Jan. 20, her daughter Melissa (Missy) Lawrence of Collier celebrates on Jan. 19, and her son Tom (Natalie) celebrates his birthday today, Thursday.
Cindy Babish-Schultz is a Trib Total Media columnist. She can be reached at 412-249-6346 or firstname.lastname@example.org.