TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

South Fayette officials vote to opt HS out of national lunch program

Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 12:54 a.m.
 

South Fayette school officials voted Tuesday night to approve a request for the high school to opt out of the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program.

Food service director Tricia Wood said the guidelines, which went into effect July 1, would place an undue burden on the high school cafeteria, which is set up as a food court with various ala carte options.

She said what the school serves this year will continue to follow the previous guidelines.

“Our menu will stay the same as it was last year,” Wood said. “This is not a step down from what we have done in the past.”

By opting out, the high school will not receive federal reimbursement for its free and reduced lunches.

Out of 759 high school students, 74 were eligible for free lunch and 11 for reduced lunch, according to 2013-14 data from the state department of education.

The South Fayette district has the fourth-lowest number of free- and reduced-lunch eligible students in the county.

Add Megan Guza to your Google+ circles.

 

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Carlynton

  1. Chartiers Valley, South Fayette marching bands look forward to season on the move
  2. Town Talk: Carnegie couple marks 40th anniversary
  3. Savoyards prepare to kick off 77th season at Carnegie music hall
  4. Oyler: Much to do about nothing when picking up mail
  5. South Fayette native earns pageant title
  6. South Fayette church takes multi-generational approach
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.