South Fayette Giant Eagle open for business
Giant Eagle has opened in the former South Fayette Shop ‘n Save location, 3239 Washington Pike, South Fayette Township.
Services include the Wine & Spirits shop, beer sales, pharmacy, full-service deli, catering, PNC banking, coffee shop, and a bakery. Call 412-914-0830 for information or the pharmacy at 412-914-0752.
• The Pittsburgh Botanic Garden, Collier Township near Settlers Cabin Park, opened Aug. 1 with its first phase of 60 acres. When completed, the entire 460 acres will be one of the largest botanic gardens in America. The site is located over acres of abandoned coal mines and farming land.
Projects over the last 16 years have involved cleaning up the land, removing safety hazards and resolving drinking water issues which garnered the garden the Governor's Award for Environmental Excellence for filtering out aluminum hydroxide. About 30 native species of trees have returned to the land. Its Dogwood Meadow has one of the few natural dogwood-tree groves in the area. The area open to the public includes a Cove Forest, an Asian Garden, European and English woodlands, and an Appalachian Plateau. Call 412-444-4464 for more information or to become a volunteer or visit www.pittsburghbotanicgarden.org.
• Carnegie Iron Werks, 622 Beechwood Ave., Carnegie, creates unique, high quality, handcrafted steel items for churches and places of worship. Family-owned and combining 40 years of design and welding experience, the staff produces decorative candlestands, sanctuary lamp holders, wall brackets, window screens, fence doors, and more. Call 412-429-0495 for information.
• Geoffrey Schnieder is the new director of adult catechesis and evangelization at Our Lady of Grace Parish, Scott Township. Schnieder, who has served as the church's youth minister, will maintain all the adult education programs such as RCIA, Catholic Scripture Study, Liturgical Bible Study, Respect Life Committee, Baptism preparation, pre-cana weekend, the parish library, and the speaker series, as well as lead an evangelization outreach. He previously was the parish's director of religious education for 14 years and was a regional sales representative for a Catholic religious book publisher for eight years in the mid-Atlantic region. He has served as a former executive secretary for the Initiation and Evangelization Leadership Team for the Diocese of Pittsburgh, and assisted in editing the diocese's Sacraments of Initiation Policies and Lay Ministry Handbook.
• Scheduled for a late fall opening is Windstop Restaurant in the Crafton-Ingram Shopping Center, Crafton. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, the company has more than 600 locations throughout the United States, Mexico, Russia and Singapore.
The Crafton site and one to be opened in the South Side on East Carson Street will be the first in the Pittsburgh market. The restaurant features made-to-order chicken, boneless wings and sandwiches in 10 proprietary flavors with side dishes of homemade fries, potato salad, baked beans, and house-made ranch and blue cheese dips.
• Holy Child Parish, Station St., Bridgeville, recently began a Columbiette Auxiliary, an organization of Catholic women (similar to the Knights of Columbus). It is sponsored by Holy Child's Knights of Columbus Council No. 12043, and is open to women of all surrounding Catholic parishes. It is a service organization. There are nominal dues with monthly meetings being held in the Holy Child cafeteria at 7 p.m. the first Thursday of every month (except July and December). For more information or to join, contact Julie Gondringer, president, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Andrea Iglar is the new community development director for South Fayette Township. This is a newly created position for the township.
Other new local business incorporations as compiled from state filings include:
• Steel City Commercial Cleaning, 1105 Cornell Road, Crafton (commercial cleaning)
• StudioPM, 1538 Cumberland St., Crafton (art event services)
• L&D Multicultural Academy of Beauty and Barber Science, LLC, 1817 Crafton Blvd., Crafton (beauty and barber school academy)
• Azim Construction, 1427 Poplar St., Crafton (construction, landscaping, home improvements)
• Dnipro Construction, 1860 Chessland St., Crafton (construction, landscaping, home improvements)
• DRF Consulting, 330 Klamath Drive, Crafton (consulting for water conservation)
• Eberle & Bundick, LLC, 27 Oregon Ave., Crafton (law practice)
• Jog Energy Corp., 33 W. Manilla Ave., Green Tree (oil & gas)
Charlotte Smith is a contributing writer for Trib Total Media and can be reached at 724-693-9441 or email@example.com.