TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Family escapes Thanksgiving fire, now in need of help

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

By Shawn Annarelli
Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, 4:27 p.m.
 

Three people safely evacuated a house fire in Cranberry early Thanksgiving morning just hours before they would have gotten up to prep their holiday meal.

Authorities said the fire at 507 Edinboro Court was likely caused by an electrical malfunction with the kitchen's refrigerator, and nothing in the home was salvageable.

While the kitchen sustained fire damage, the rest of the home sustained water or smoke damage.

The fire caused about $120,000 in damage to the insured home, though the home's contents were uninsured.

Homeowner Bernadette D'Ambrosi said she slept through the home's fire alarms and was alerted to the blaze by her nephew, Michael Helmeci, 20, who was staying with her overnight. Her older son, Coty Maccaglia, 17, was not home at the time of the fire.

After D'Ambrosi got Christian Franz, her 4-year old son, out of the home, she was unable to rescue her pet Shih Tzu despite several attempts.

“He just kept running away from me, and soon I couldn't see anything in front of me,” D'Ambrosi said. “I hoped he would go out of the back door.”

Authorities said first responders were at the scene at 3:1 5a.m., three minutes after they were called. Twenty-four Cranberry firefighters responded to the fire, and firefighters from Zelienople, Harmony and Marshall assisted them.

“Crews encountered heavy smoke and went in through a side door to get to the fire,” said Capt. Dennis Kimmel of the Cranberry Township Volunteer Fire Company.

“We ventilated the structure out, and our guys did an excellent job knocking down the fire in 30 minutes.”

The Butler County Chapter of the American Red Cross put the family in a hotel room for five days, and D'Ambrosi said her family is staying there until she hopefully finds a new place of residence near her workplace in Moon Township.

Clothes donations for the family can be dropped off at 394 Ambard Avenue, Pittsburgh.

To learn more about how to help the family, D'Ambrosi can be emailed at berndambrosi@live.com.

Shawn Annarelli is a freelance writer with Trib Total Media.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Cranberry

  1. Cranberry Uniting People event to benefit local family
  2. Camp Invention at Evans City Middle School boosts children’s problem-solving skills
  3. New middle school principal no stranger to Seneca Valley
  4. Extended-stay hotel sets sights on Cranberry
  5. Cranberry's Miracle League field upgrades to include inclusive play area
  6. Seneca Valley grad earns Merit scholarship