Fox Chapel family takes tire business on the road
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 9:02 p.m.
Updated: Friday, October 12, 2012
Sweeney Tire Co. hopes to put some miles on its new office.
The company has started a mobile tire service to bring a shop to customers in the Pittsburgh area. John Sheerer, who co-owns the business with his wife and brother-in-law, said the company had focused on industrial tires before adding personal tire service.
Sheerer of Fox Chapel said there are benefits to both companies and families.
“From a personal vehicle standpoint, that's a large convenience,” Sheerer said. “From a company's perspective, it can save the company a lot of money.”
Jill and Scotty Sweeney's father, Tom Sweeney, started the company about seven years ago as the latest step in a nearly 50-year career in tires. He brought his two children and son-in-law in who now run the business.
“We want to keep it in the family,” Jill Sweeney said.
Scotty Sweeney of New Kensington said it takes about an hour to replace a set of four tires and the company travels within a 50 mile radius. He said their work schedule remains flexible.
“We don't care if it's Saturday or Sunday,” Scott Sweeney said. “I'll do it in the parking lot of the Steelers game.”
Sheerer said right now the company is setting specific appointments rather than windows of time to increase convenience.
Jill Sweeney said with the entire family working together, her father has the business he's always wanted.
“My dad got his dream,” Jill Sweeney said.
For more information, call 412-874-4062 or 724-882-1374.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or email@example.com.
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Leechburg man takes on busy election season
- Steelers might be forced to rely on rookies in 2013
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Starkey: Robots over umps? Yes, please
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.