Aspinwall starting search for manager
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, October 17, 2012
More than a year after their last full-time borough manager left, Aspinwall officials plan to advertise for the position.
Councilman Kevin Gordon said they hope to send out the advertisement this month for the position.
Ed Warchol has been serving as the part-time borough manager since late last year.
He retired early in 2011 but his replacement, April Winklmann, resigned after nine months.
Organizers of Aspinwall Riverfront Park will get Aspinwall officials' support in moving the intersection for the park's entrance to Brilliant Ave.
Councilman Kevin Gordon said the park's board wants a letter from borough officials that shows their support for aligning the entrance of the park at an intersection that would be at Brilliant Avenue.
Officials voted to draft a letter for the board.
Gordon said the park organizers are still talking with several entities about moving the intersection.
“It's a long task, but we're moving pretty quickly,” Gordon said. “There's a lot of support because of the safety issues involved.”
The part of Freeport Road that runs through Aspinwall is scheduled to be paved next year.
Lee Albacker, borough foreman, said PennDOT plans to have crews begin work April 1.
The paving will cover the area from Western Avenue to Old Freeport Road.
Crews plan to work from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., Albacker said.
Those plans could change between now and the project start date.
The borough parking lot could be paved sooner than originally thought.
Councilman Joe Giuffre said the project was originally scheduled for Oct. 29, but he then was told it would be moved up to this week.
That date then was cancelled.
Giuffre said nearby businesses and people who park in the lot would be notified at least a week before work begins.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lower Valley Bible camps offer fun, faith, fellowship
- Aspinwall seeks to shed light on park
- O’Hara’s Timberlane drive off limit for parking during the day
- Center Avenue among streets to be repaired in Aspinwall
- Plan for townhouse development could be coming to Aspinwall
- New duties excite former Dorseyville principal
- Indiana Township woman leads Girl Scouts through life’s journey
- Fox Chapel Area approves spending plan
- Fox Chapel area gears up for Constellation Senior Players Championship
- Waterworks McDonald’s opening means more jobs for Fox Chapel Area students
- Sharpsburg officials use grant money to spruce up small park
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.