Officials prepare to name new mayor
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 8:59 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Blawnox officials plan to move quickly to replace Mayor Tom Smith.
Smith resigned as mayor effective Nov. 29. Council was scheduled to meet Dec. 4 to pick a replacement. That meeting ended after this paper's deadline.
Council President Deborah Laskey said the mayor's responsibilities meant the position needed to be filled.
“They do handle the police,” Laskey said.
The best possible replacement likely is already a member of council.
“I think that the person that would be able to fill that position sits at this table,” Laskey said.
If officials appoint someone from council as mayor, they would have 30 days to fill that council seat, solicitor Jack Cambest said. A special meeting for that appointment would be unlikely.
“You could do that at your regular meeting,” Cambest said.
Smith's term was scheduled to end in 2013. Before his resignation, he agreed that someone on council should replace him.
By Tom McGee
- Contested race shaping up for Fox Chapel Area School Board Region 3
- Incumbent Panza secures Democratic nod for Sharpsburg mayor
- Fox Chapel Area homeowners expect to pay more taxes
- Senior golf tour gift benefits Cooper-Siegel Community Library in Fox Chapel
- Sharpsburg seeks help demolishing old homes
- Sharpsburg residents can name boat ramp
- Sharpsburg rental inspection rules changing
- Fox Chapel woman devoted to improving community
- Tawn Talk: Don’t be afraid to get dirty; you just might have fun, learn things
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.