Officials prepare to name new mayor
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 8:59 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Blawnox officials plan to move quickly to replace Mayor Tom Smith.
Smith resigned as mayor effective Nov. 29. Council was scheduled to meet Dec. 4 to pick a replacement. That meeting ended after this paper's deadline.
Council President Deborah Laskey said the mayor's responsibilities meant the position needed to be filled.
“They do handle the police,” Laskey said.
The best possible replacement likely is already a member of council.
“I think that the person that would be able to fill that position sits at this table,” Laskey said.
If officials appoint someone from council as mayor, they would have 30 days to fill that council seat, solicitor Jack Cambest said. A special meeting for that appointment would be unlikely.
“You could do that at your regular meeting,” Cambest said.
Smith's term was scheduled to end in 2013. Before his resignation, he agreed that someone on council should replace him.
By Tom McGee
- Security cameras assist Sharpsburg police
- Aspinwall riverfront park plan unveiled
- Making Freeport Road safer one project suggested for Aspinwall
- Residents, visitors asked not to park along Aspinwall Memorial Day parade route
- Aspinwall woman helps lead park party effort
- Fox Chapel man to cycle 300 miles for charity
- 4 candidates seek nod for 2 seats on Fox Chapel Area School Board
- Fox Chapel Area sophomore wins essay contest
- Unveiling of UPMC St. Margaret’s Garden of Hope scheduled for this month
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.