Blawnox quickly gets new mayor
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 8:54 p.m.
Updated: Friday, December 14, 2012
Blawnox officials didn't look far for the borough's new mayor.
Council appointed Anthony Gross to the position of mayor last week. He will fulfill the remainder of Tom Smith's term, which continues through 2013. He was the only nominee from council.
Smith resigned after 40 years as mayor late last month.
Gross said he appreciated the appointment.
“I thank you guys for the vote of confidence,” Gross said.
Gross first was appointed to council in 2010 and then was elected to a two-year term the next year. His appointment opens up a seat on council.
Officials plan to fill that seat during their regular council meeting. They have 30 days to name a replacement.
Smith sat in the audience as Gross was appointed and presented him with the seal of the borough. He wished Gross good luck as mayor.
“You've got a great council there,” Smith said.
Gross will need to be sworn in by District Judge Elissa Lang before he officially becomes mayor. Council President Deborah Laskey held the position after Smith's resignation.
Gross said he expects a smooth transition.
“I think we'll be just fine,” Gross said.
The borough's next regular council meeting will be Dec. 20, at 6:30 p.m., at the borough building on Freeport Road.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or email@example.com.There are currently no comments for this story.
- Plan for townhouse development could be coming to Aspinwall
- Fox Chapel area gears up for Constellation Senior Players Championship
- Fox Chapel Area approves spending plan
- O’Hara’s Timberlane drive off limit for parking during the day
- Lower Valley Bible camps offer fun, faith, fellowship
- New duties excite former Dorseyville principal
- Center Avenue among streets to be repaired in Aspinwall
- Indiana Township woman leads Girl Scouts through life’s journey
- Aspinwall seeks to shed light on park