Blawnox church intends to 'pay it forward'
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, January 2, 2013, 8:57 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Members of the Hoboken Presbyterian Church will be looking to do some good deeds in the new year.
Church officials have promised to “pay it forward” after getting a break on the cost of roof repairs to the church in Blawnox.
Finances have been tight for the church.
To make the repairs needed for insurance reasons, members turned to Welte Roofing for help.
Officials of the roofing company agreed to reduce the price of the repairs in exchange for the church doing some good for others.
Pam Stephens, who is charge of the house and grounds for the church, said the board will meet next year to decide how to repay the generosity.
Stephens said the damage is from wear on the building's original roof.
“Some of it was from water damage, snowstorms in years past,” she said.
While the patch work being done now will help get the church through about the next two years, the roof will eventually need to be replaced.
The church has about 35 members and getting a deal on repairs was a relief to Stephens.
“It lifted a lot off my heart,” she said. “It makes you believe.”
Work is still being completed at the church and members will meet this month to decide how to show their appreciation.
“We'll be coming up with ways to pay it forward,” she said.
Stephens said she hopes to see the church grow. It plans to give back to the community.
“We want to give back to the community because some of the community has given to us,” Stephens said.
For more information on the church or to help with its needs, call Stephens at 412-445-9569.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Residents, visitors asked not to park along Aspinwall Memorial Day parade route
- Race heats up for Sharpsburg Council
- Making Freeport Road safer one project suggested for Aspinwall
- Security cameras assist Sharpsburg police
- Aspinwall woman helps lead park party effort
- Fox Chapel man to cycle 300 miles for charity
- $15 fee removed from Sharpsburg water bills
- Fox Chapel Area sophomore wins essay contest
- Aspinwall riverfront park plan unveiled
- Unveiling of UPMC St. Margaret’s Garden of Hope scheduled for this month
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.