Student Painters gives Aspinwall resident skills to run a business
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 9:01 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Sean Smith plans to spend his summer running his own business and putting people to work.
Smith of Aspinwall is a finance major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
For the summer, he'll oversee the local branch of Student Painters that will serve his hometown and the surrounding area.
For Smith, it's a way to learn business outside of the classroom. He cites communication skills, organization and sales as areas he has learned about since starting with the company in November.
“It's really just a great skill to learn. It's also a good resume builder,” Smith said.
Smith plans to recruit painters from the area to fill out his team.
“I'm hoping to have five or six painters by May,” Smith said.
After a training session earlier this month, Smith now is working to line up jobs for the summer.
“Once everybody gets out of college in May is when we start painting,” Smith said.
Smith learned about Student Painters from information on campus. Since he started working, he said, the experience has taken him out of his comfort zone.
“I have learned so much about this so far than I have ever learned in school,” Smith said.
For information about Student Painters, call Smith at 908-565-3154 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513, or email@example.com.
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Elizabeth Township officials seek property to store road materials
- White Oak amends dog ordinance
- Area music store earns top honors
- Unchecked looting guts Egypt’s heritage, with one ancient site ‘70 percent gone’
- Heroin cited in gun thefts
- Pilot of ultralight plane killed in crash
- Police: Beating victim, son forged prescriptions
- Family’s lawyers seek witnesses to fatal zoo dog attack
- ‘True Blue’ archetype for modern jazz
- Robinson: 10 Steelers storylines to keep tabs on
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.