Plan calls for trees to beautify area near Sharpsburg business district
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 7:24 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Plans are underway to beautify a small open space near the entrance of the Sharpsburg business district.
The land, known as the South Bend Pocket Park, is located near H.R. Curry Co. Inc.
Part of the beautification project could come from a TreeVitalize grant borough officials plan to apply for.
The program provides trees for local communities. Sharpsburg could receive about 20 trees through the program. Aspinwall and Indiana Township also have participated.
Borough secretary Jan Barbus said the borough's plans for the park space depended on whether it pursued the grant.
Before the borough can qualify for the grant, a member of council and two public works employees would have to take a course on tree tending.
“Whoever signs the original application, they will have to take a class in learning how to take care of trees,” Barbus said.
Several other locations in the borough are targeted for trees but permission to plant trees there is still needed.
The grant application is due by March 15.
Borough officials also are in need of a local landscaper to perform work at the park. Councilman Matthew Rudzki said officials can not wait long to find someone.
“Planting season will be upon us very soon,” Rudzki said.
The park will serve as an entryway into the borough business district, Councilman Lou DeLuca said.
“It's an aesthetic entrance park, it's not a park for individuals,” DeLuca said.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fox Chapel Area homeowners expect to pay more taxes
- Fox Chapel woman devoted to improving community
- Incumbent Panza secures Democratic nod for Sharpsburg mayor
- Senior golf tour gift benefits Cooper-Siegel Community Library in Fox Chapel
- Sharpsburg seeks help demolishing old homes
- Sharpsburg residents can name boat ramp
- Contested race shaping up for Fox Chapel Area School Board Region 3
- Sharpsburg rental inspection rules changing
- Tawn Talk: Don’t be afraid to get dirty; you just might have fun, learn things
- Residents, visitors asked not to park along Aspinwall Memorial Day parade route
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.