O’Hara’s Harding Road closing for wall work
By Tawnya Panizzi
Published: Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Construction of a retaining wall in O'Hara will close Harding Road to traffic for two months.
Council approved a $273,500 contract to design and build a wall along a grassy hillside there.
The project is aimed at fortifying an existing retaining wall and stabilizing the road, Township Engineer Chuck Steinert said.
“A few years back there was a big storm that washed away the hillside,” he said. “At that time, we built a wall but I've been watching it and the hillside is moving a little.”
Work will extend the current retaining wall by about 200 feet.
Steinert said designs are under way and construction should begin by May.
The wall, built from soldier pile and lagging, should take care of any potential problems along the road's steep embankment, he said.
“At the time when we built the original wall, it took care of the problem we had. We didn't need to extend it,” Steinert said. “This will take care of the whole thing.”
Harding Road sits off Kittanning Pike.
There is only one home near the worksite but residents will not be affected, Steinert said.
Motorists who use Harding Road, the link from Kittanning Pike to Meadow Park, will need to follow a posted detour.
Tawnya Panizzi is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-782-2121, ext. 2 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fox Chapel woman devoted to improving community
- Incumbent Panza secures Democratic nod for Sharpsburg mayor
- Fox Chapel Area homeowners expect to pay more taxes
- Senior golf tour gift benefits Cooper-Siegel Community Library in Fox Chapel
- Sharpsburg seeks help demolishing old homes
- Sharpsburg residents can name boat ramp
- Sharpsburg rental inspection rules changing
- Tawn Talk: Don’t be afraid to get dirty; you just might have fun, learn things
- Contested race shaping up for Fox Chapel Area School Board Region 3
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.