Aspinwall's new manager has local ties
A Fox Chapel Area High School graduate is returning home to become Aspinwall's borough manager.
Officials voted to hire Melissa Lang, daughter of Magisterial Judge Elissa Lang, earlier this month. She begins work April 29. Her starting salary will be $55,000 per year.
Lang takes over for Ed Warchol who was brought back as a part-time manager in 2011 after April Winklmann resigned earlier that year after less than a year on the job. Warchol had retired in December of 2010 after 16 years working for the borough.
Lang is currently the director of the west branch campus at Mercyhurst University in Erie. She is also the president of a local chamber of commerce in Erie. That experience led her to want to get more involved in working with residents and businesses on a community level.
“I've really gotten involved in the community and found that was something I would ultimately like to do,” Lang said.
Before working for Mercyhurst University, she was a student at the school when it was Mercyhurst College.
She earned a master's degree in leadership after receiving a bachelor's degree in biology. Lang graduated from Fox Chapel Area High School in 1995.
In Aspinwall, Lang said she is especially interested in working on the Aspinwall Riverfront Park project.
“I'm just interested in seeing how that's going to really add to the community and especially Aspinwall with the economy,” Lang said.
After spending part of her academic and professional careers at Mercyhurst, Lang said she is excited to take on a new position.
“I'm excited to move on and do something completely different,” Lang said.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- More electronic books to join traditional counterparts in Fox Chapel Area classrooms
- Sharpsburg marina home to pontoon boat rental company
- Write-in votes to determine Aspinwall primary winners
- Lower Valley observes Memorial Day with parades, services
- Memorial Day weekend events planned for Lower Valley communities
- Path to offer O’Hara office park walkers room to roam
- Drake: Promoting community center O’Hara woman’s new duty
- Fox Chapel Area budget plan includes technology upgrades
- Aspinwall native dedicated majority of life working to support servicemen
- Morningside VFW honors veterans with fishing day at O’Hara park