Maintaining North Canal means money for Sharpsburg
Sharpsburg will receive money from PennDOT for having its public works crews plow and maintain North Canal Street.
Officials approved an agreement with PennDOT last week. Councilman Lou DeLuca said borough crews routinely plow that road.
PennDOT officials had also asked Sharpsburg to also take over maintenance for Main Street but DeLuca said that wasn't possible.
“We're already doing North Canal Street and we've been doing it for years. Main Street seems out of our range,” DeLuca said.
Plowing Main Street would require larger equipment than the borough has, DeLuca said. It would also require borough crews to clear the parking spaces in the borough's business district, something that DeLuca said could be too expensive.
DeLuca said PennDOT crews do regularly plow Main Street when it snows.
“They do go through the town. I have seen them,” DeLuca said.
The amount the borough receives from PennDOT could vary depending on how severe this winter is.
“It will bring revenue into the borough,” DeLuca said.
Solicitor Michael Witherel said the agreement was similar to PennDOT's arrangements with other communities.
“The contract itself is pretty boilerplate,” Witherel said.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- O’Hara clothing designer earns national recognition
- St. Mary statues restored, returned to Sharpsburg grotto
- 2 Fox Chapel Area teens to hit Byham stage in ‘A Chorus Line’
- St. Scholastica Fair Trade Fair to offer unique buys
- Glitter and Glow event at Fox Chapel Golf Club to kick off holidays
- Project closes part of McClellan Road in Indiana Township
- Aspinwall artist looks to past pieces to inspire work for upcoming show
- Fox Chapel Area Early Learning Forum focuses on kindergarteners
- Fox Chapel author, life coach releases book about finding peace, happiness
- Completing survey can help secure money for water meters in Blawnox