Demolition permit for Aspinwall house requested
Aspinwall has received a demolition permit request for a house at 37 Western Ave.
The site was the subject of discussion last year when officials learned about plans to eventually demolish the site. A pocket of gas under the site raised concerns and council asked to be told when the demolition would occur.
Borough Manager Melissa Lang said the environmental committee will meet with the property owners before any demolition takes place.
She said precautions would have to be taken to make sure a sinkhole doesn't form when work takes place.
The owners have not identified plans for the site.
Plans for a parking lot have been rumored, and if that is the case the owners would have to work with the borough to secure approval, council President Mark Ellermeyer said.
“If they do intend a parking lot, that's going to give us a lot of leverage,” Ellermeyer said.
Councilman Joe Giuffre said he is concerned about the space becoming a way for people to access Route 28. He said he'd like to look into whether that can be prevented.
“Otherwise, I can see people cutting in there to get to 28,” Giuffre said.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school notebook: TJ, Clairton head into enemy territory
- Soutmoreland girls basketball team primary goal: playoffs
- PSU Fayette men’s basketball team loses to Lock Haven
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- Israel suspends contact with some EU groups over labels on exports
- Norway mulls using medical heroin to prevent deadly overdoses
- Iran gives investors glimpse of $30 billion in oil deals to come
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Penguins centermen enjoying better faceoff success rate
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Fatal HOV lane crash in Ross under investigation