Indiana Twp. officials mull option of raising property tax
Indiana Township officials might reopen the 2014 budget next month to raise the property tax rate — again.
A .02 mill increase might be needed, which would mean less than a $10 increase for the average property owner, due a reduction in the overall property value in the township, manager Daniel Anderson said.
Millage would still be lower than 2012's rate of 3.25.
Township officials last month approved the real estate rate at 2.95 mills, up from 2.71 mills for 2013.
They since learned that the township's property valuation was decreased by $4.5 million. The Medrad facility, located off Route 910, was devaluated by Allegheny County's Office of Property Assessments, which translates to less property tax.
Overall property values in the township are $622 million, compared to $639 million last year for taxing purposes, Anderson said. He is looking to reduce expenses before recommending another tax increase.
“This leaves us short if projections put us where we expect,” Anderson said.
The Medrad reduction was the second major hit to the township.
In 2013, Concordia of Fox Chapel, located on Route 910 Indiana, was taken off the tax rolls. It is associated with Concordia Lutheran Ministries, a nonprofit organization.
The Concordia reassessment and others were part of the reason why the 2014 budget included a tax increase.
Township residents pay about $408 in real estate taxes on the median value of property at $138,500, Anderson said.
Sharon Drake is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fox Chapel grad, songwriter teams with Lou Christie on latest song
- Fox Chapel library program teaches children challenges astronauts face
- Blawnox reaches deal with firm for services through end of year
- Fox Chapel Road to close June 30
- Free Rides for Seniors expands service in Aspinwall, Blawnox and Sharpsburg
- Indiana Township plans to address Cedar Run Road drainage
- Photo gallery: Fox Chapel library summer camp blends Legos, robots
- Fox Chapel, Camp Guyasuta events canceled June 27