PennDOT updates project progress in Hempfield area
PennDOT issued on Monday updates on these projects in the Greensburg and Hempfield areas:
• Right of way issues are being resolved for a construction project to replace Sewickley Creek Bridge in Mt. Pleasant and Hempfield townships.
Traffic on Route 819 (Armbrust Road) will be detoured throughout construction of the $1.1 million project. Pedestrian access to the post office will be maintained from both directions. Greensburg-based Plum Contracting Inc. will replace the existing single-span steel bridge over Sewickley Creek.
• Work requiring single-lane restrictions will be done at night only during the replacement of the bridge that carries Interstate 70 over Waltz Mill Road (Route 3014) in Hempfield.
Completion on the $6 million project has been tentatively set for late November. Gulisek Construction is permitted to implement single-lane closures 8 p.m.-6 a.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 p.m.-7 a.m. Friday through Sunday.
• Utility relocation work is underway to prepare for an $8 million project to add turning lanes and traffic signal improvements on Route 30 from Jeannette to the Amos K Hutchinson Bypass. Frank J. Zottola Construction will be working between Possum Hollow Road and Toll Road 66 near Hempfield Pointe, with a targeted completion date of October.
Traffic back-ups could develop, adding to commute times.
• Construction of the Westmoreland Heritage Trail — a walking and bike path along the former Pennsylvania Railroad's Turtle Creek Branch for 3.71 miles from Slickville to Delmont — should be done by late summer.
The project extends from the Route 819 crossing in Slickville to a trail access near Delmont.
Work includes clearing, shaping and grading the trail, trail paving, drainage improvements and building a trail access area and safety area.
Trail crossings will be built on Route 819, Athena Road and Story Road in the $1.38 million project awarded to Plum Contracting.
Motorists should use caution in temporary work zones while trail crossings are installed.
• There are no traffic restrictions during reconstruction of the Route 819 bridge in Salem Township near Porter Run Road.
• The $798,000 project to replace the Laird Street Bridge over Jack's Run in Greensburg is nearly complete. The bridge will reopen when guiderail, fencing and utility work are finished.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Basketball, soccer star Strom named Friend of Steel Valley
- Luncheon lauds supporters of McKeesport Hospital Foundation Invitational
- Ford City Council’s quiet on debt frustrates residents
- Manor police arrest alleged getaway driver
- Roundup: Wesco to acquire Texas company for undisclosed price; Beaver Valley nuke reactor shut for maintenance; more
- Plum officials: District won’t inhibit ‘constitutionally protected speech’
- Rossi: Steelers should corner the market at NFL Draft
- Penguins’ Pouliot learns from rookie season
- Belle Vernon Area education boss presents wish list to school board
- Arnold, New Kensington drug busts net 2 arrests, heroin, cocaine, cash
- Latrobe baseball routs Connellsville to move closer to WPIAL playoff berth