PennDOT updates project progress in Hempfield area
PennDOT issued on Monday updates on these projects in the Greensburg and Hempfield areas:
• Right of way issues are being resolved for a construction project to replace Sewickley Creek Bridge in Mt. Pleasant and Hempfield townships.
Traffic on Route 819 (Armbrust Road) will be detoured throughout construction of the $1.1 million project. Pedestrian access to the post office will be maintained from both directions. Greensburg-based Plum Contracting Inc. will replace the existing single-span steel bridge over Sewickley Creek.
• Work requiring single-lane restrictions will be done at night only during the replacement of the bridge that carries Interstate 70 over Waltz Mill Road (Route 3014) in Hempfield.
Completion on the $6 million project has been tentatively set for late November. Gulisek Construction is permitted to implement single-lane closures 8 p.m.-6 a.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 p.m.-7 a.m. Friday through Sunday.
• Utility relocation work is underway to prepare for an $8 million project to add turning lanes and traffic signal improvements on Route 30 from Jeannette to the Amos K Hutchinson Bypass. Frank J. Zottola Construction will be working between Possum Hollow Road and Toll Road 66 near Hempfield Pointe, with a targeted completion date of October.
Traffic back-ups could develop, adding to commute times.
• Construction of the Westmoreland Heritage Trail — a walking and bike path along the former Pennsylvania Railroad's Turtle Creek Branch for 3.71 miles from Slickville to Delmont — should be done by late summer.
The project extends from the Route 819 crossing in Slickville to a trail access near Delmont.
Work includes clearing, shaping and grading the trail, trail paving, drainage improvements and building a trail access area and safety area.
Trail crossings will be built on Route 819, Athena Road and Story Road in the $1.38 million project awarded to Plum Contracting.
Motorists should use caution in temporary work zones while trail crossings are installed.
• There are no traffic restrictions during reconstruction of the Route 819 bridge in Salem Township near Porter Run Road.
• The $798,000 project to replace the Laird Street Bridge over Jack's Run in Greensburg is nearly complete. The bridge will reopen when guiderail, fencing and utility work are finished.