Jayhawks move to 9-1 on the season
Jeannette boys basketball finally met its match in 2012-13 — but that match will not be seen or heard from again this basketball season because the high school that ended Jeannette's season-opening, eight-game winning streak, Brentwood High School, is not located in Brentwood, Pa., it is located in Brentwood, Tenn.
The teams met as part of Gateway High School's holiday tournament. Brentwood came away with a second-round win last Friday over Jeannette, 66-40, but the loss was not quite as bad as the score might otherwise indicate.
“We missed eight layups,” said Jeannette head coach Adrian Batts. “We also gave away eight points on out of bounds plays. We normally don't do that.”
Jeannette faced Brentwood following a 73-46 first-round win last Thursday over a very young Monessen squad. The Jayhawks rebounded from the loss to Brentwood on Saturday by beating Wilkinsburg, 71-58.
“We responded the right way against Wilkinsburg,” said Batts. “We had five guys in double figures and played very well.”
While holiday tournaments can be a fun break from the grind of a tough section schedule, the reality for Jeannette, and for every WPIAL team, is that things are about to get real — real fast.
Jeannette hosts undefeated Serra Catholic tomorrow in its first of three difficult Class-AA, Section 3 games over the next 13 days. The Jayhawks travel to Shady Side Academy next Friday before hosting their rival, Greensburg Central Catholic, on Tuesday, Jan. 15.
Batts wants all three.
“If we can win them all, we can finish the first half of section play undefeated,” said Batts. “That would give us a one or two-game lead on everyone else and set us up for a run in the second half.”
Jeannette (3-0, 9-1) has steamrolled its way through the first three section games, but there is no question that their toughest tests lie ahead in their next three opponents. The good news for the Jayhawks — they are most definitely the toughest test for their opponents, as well.
Jeannette (3-0) (9-1)
Serra Catholic (2-0) (9-0)
GCC (2-0) (9-1)
Riverview (1-2) (3-5)
Shady Side (1-2) (3-6)
Springdale (0-2) (1-7)
South Allegheny (0-3) (3-6)
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bell’s last-second TD lifts Steelers over Chargers
- Rossi: Just wait until Ben comes back
- Steelers defense displays resiliency in victory over Chargers
- Steelers notebook: Receiver Bryant inactive for game vs. Chargers
- Eagle Scout candidate completes replacement of Versailles park’s retaining wall
- Westmoreland County Common Pleas candidates differ on judicial retirement age
- Pitt running out of options to slow down Georgia Tech offense
- East Allegheny gives judge candidate’s seat on school board to her husband
- Pa. Supreme Court ‘disturbed by content’ of emails attributed to justice
- Looking toward home opener, Penguins work to end scoring drought
- Penguins notebook: Left wing rotation puts Perron with Malkin