Fire hits 2 homes in Latrobe on Saturday
Published: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 3:34 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Fires strike 2 homes on same street
Fires broke out in two Latrobe homes on the same street slightly more than an hour apart Saturday.
At 10:54 a.m., a chimney fire ignited in the single-family home at 39 E. First Ave., according to Bob Heintzelman, Latrobe Fire Department assistant chief from Company 6, who was in charge at the scene.
At 12:08 p.m., a kitchen fire broke out at 32 E. First Ave., less than 200 feet away, he said.
No one was injured in either blaze, Heintzelman said.
“It's not too often we get two fires that close together,” he said. “Everybody did a great job. The engines were almost all in place” for the second fire.
The first fire started when a build up of creosote ignited in the chimney when the family lit their fireplace. The fire was contained to the chimney and there was minimal damage, he said.
The second fire, in the kitchen of half of a duplex, destroyed the kitchen and caused some smoke damage to the home's first floor, Heintzelman said. The fire did not spread to the other side of the duplex, but firefighters opened that home to clear some smoke out, he said.
The Red Cross was assisting the tenant whose kitchen burned. Both scenes were cleared by 2:30 p.m.
- Penguins blow late lead, lose to Senators in 2nd OT
- Steelers rookie WR moves on after PSU scandal
- Goalie Anderson stands tall in Senators’ victory over Penguins
- Kovacevic: Get greedy with power play
- Penguins notebook: Vitale a no-go
- Volunteer effort
- Hundreds of races, but light turnout expected for primary in Westmoreland
- Lawrenceville native strives to fly from world’s wonders
- Pirates & Pens
- 4 Fayette County positions at stake in primary
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.