Merchants open doors to holiday shoppers
The Ligonier Valley Chamber of Commerce Town-Wide Open House is noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Participating merchants will open doors to holiday shoppers. The PopcornMan will be making popcorn and sleigh rides will be offered by Misty Haven Carriage. Local carolers will perform at the bandstand throughout the day.
“Shopping, dining, exploring and enjoying will fill your day with the spirit of Christmas,” said Holly Mowrey, chamber director.
This year, the Ligonier Valley YMCA is partnering with the chamber to offer childcare during the open house for children age four and older.
“We are partnering with the town to see if it will be a benefit for parents. If we can help the businesses in town, they can help ours. It is a mutual benefit to all,” said Rachel Pavlik, who works in the community development area of the Y.
The Y will offer a three-hour session for $18, and a five-hour session is $28 for pre-registered children. The cost on the day of the event is $24 for three hours and $34 for five hours.
Activities include swimming, movies, crafts and games.
“Parents have the opportunity to leave their kids here where we will provide quality care for parents so they can go participate in the town's activities,”Pavlik said.
She said this will be a trial run for the program, and they may offer the service for future Ligonier events.
“We will see how it goes,” said Pavlik. “We are working with Holly at the chamber office to coordinate future events.”
Sunday shoppers will have a number of other holiday activities in Ligonier during the open house event.
The gift shop and museum at Fort Ligonier will be open noon to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Admission to the museum is free on these dates.
“We have a wide variety of unique gifts that are popular with the children including tri-corner hats and Indian jewelry,” said Annie Urban, director of operations at the fort. “There will be re-enactors to greet visitors, and we will have cookies and treats.”
Visitors are invited to the Ramada Ligonier to see the entries for the Gingerbread House Contest. Bids will be taken on the houses and the community may vote for the a favorite house. All proceeds go to Ligonier Valley Meals on Wheels.
Other activities during the open house:
• The Valley Players of Ligonier will perform “The All-New Ligonier Christmas Show” at 2:30 p.m. Sunday at the Ligonier Theatre. Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students.
• A winter wonderland of decorated trees and wreaths is on display at the Ligonier Valley Historical Society's “Festival of Lights” 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the community room of Town Hall.
• A Candlelight Tour will be conducted 3 to 7 p.m. at the Compass Inn Museum in Laughlintown.
• The Valley Center for Active Adults presents the Greater Latrobe Middle School “Coral Cats Show Choir” performing a holiday show at 3 p.m. in the Ligonier Town Hall auditorium.
• A collection of nativities will be on display noon to 4 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall of the Heritage United Methodist Church on the Diamond.
Free two-hour parking is available Saturday, compliments of Ligonier Borough.
For more information about the open house, call 724-238-4200 or visit the chamber website at www.visitligonier.com.
Deborah A. Brehun is a staff editor for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-238-2111 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy