PA honey queen visits Ligonier Country Market Saturday
The 2013 Pennsylvania Honey Queen, Elena Hoffman, will visit the Ligonier Country Market on 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. Hoffman will provide information on the importance of honeybees, a beekeepers role, pollination and products from the hive while visiting the market. She will also have an observation hive of live honeybees.
Hoffman, 17, is the daughter of Brian Hoffman and Beverly Hoffman of Millmont. She is a senior at Mifflinburg Area High School. After graduation she plans to attend college to pursue a degree in pre-med.
Hoffman works with her father in their apiary, including maintaining the hives and extracting honey.
Hoffman travels throughout the state promoting the beekeeping and honey industries.
She will represent Pennsylvania in 2014 when she competes for the American Honey Queen title during the American Beekeeping Federation convention in Baton Rouge, La.
The market features more than 100 vendors offering fresh picked produce, a wide variety of flowers from annuals to perennials to fresh cut arrangements. Food booths with feature straight-from-the-farm beef, poultry and eggs, along with specialty breads, pastries and hot cooked foods, honey and maple syrup are available. Other booths offer handmade crafts including jewelry, purses, country crafts, wood items, pet items, dog treats, candles and soaps.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Eastern Westmoreland Career and Technology Center dedicates outdoor center
- Grassroots organization promotes hunting to boost state economy
- Santa Claus is coming to Ligonier
- Laurel Valley’s Kids Korner provides clothing for families in need
- Ligonier merchants celebrate 40 years in business
- Valley Youth Network celebrates 20 years
- Ligonier Township planners begin review of revised ordinance
- Likely no tax hike for Ligonier Township
- Woodbridge Preschool upgrades classrooms with new technology
- Academic achievement performance released for Ligonier Valley