ShareThis Page

Yough currents threaten McKees Point Marina docks

| Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2012, 4:47 a.m.
Rising waters washed three city docks downstream on the Youghiogheny River late Tuesday morning. One of them broke loose just before noon and passed on to the Monongahela. Jennifer R. Vertullo | Daily News
At the Marina at McKees Point, one of three docks that broke away late Tuesday morning is stuck below another. As water continues to rise, officials said, these docks could break off toward the Monongahela as another did earlier in the day. Jennifer R. Vertullo | Daily News
McKeesport Mayor Michael Cherepko, with his back to the river, talks with city officials, from left, fire chief Kevin Lust, public works director Nick Shermenti, city administrator Matt Gergely, emergency management coordinator Bill Miller and police chief Bryan J. Washowich as they evaluate damage swift, rising waters caused to the Marina at McKees Point on Tuesday morning. Jennifer R. Vertullo | Daily News
Holding an unbrella, McKeesport Mayor Michael Cherepko looks onto the Youghiogheny River while talking with city officials, in the foreground from left, emergency management coordinator Bill Miller, deputy fire chief Ed Harmon, fire chief Kevin Lust and police chief Bryan J. Washowich. Jennifer R. Vertullo | Daily News
McKeesport emergency management coordinator Bill Miller, right, walks away from marina manager Ray Dougherty and assistant regional supervisor Larry Furlong of the state Fish and Boat Commission after swift, rising waters washed three city docks downstream on the Youghiogheny River late Tuesday morning. Jennifer R. Vertullo | Daily News

Strong currents and floating debris on the Youghiogheny River compromised three docks in the Marina at McKees Point, sending one downstream to the Monongahela as waters rose Tuesday afternoon in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

“The only thing holding the docks on right now are the loop brackets attached to the poles,” marina manager Ray Dougherty said, looking out on a warped marina that comfortably held 182 boats this summer.

“That's what's stopping the docks from going downriver, but they're pretty much wasted. They're mangled.”

Dougherty was joined by the city of McKeesport's administration and emergency personnel, assessing damage as waters continued to rise.

The river measured at approximately 17 feet in Sutersville Tuesday afternoon, while local crews were watching for further damage in McKeesport. The river was expected to crest later at 20.7 feet, several inches over the 20-foot flood stage.

“Up to this point, all property authorities have been notified,” Mayor Michael Cherepko said. “It's become a waiting game. One of our docks broke loose and was up against another, putting in danger three total docks.”

After that initial damage, another dock broke from its location and traveled downriver to the Monongahela. City police briefly blocked the McKeesport-Duquesne Bridge as the breakaway dock safely passed below.

“At that point, our biggest concern became bridge traffic, because there was not much river traffic on the water at that time,” Cherepko explained. “It's a safety precaution in case the dock or any of the attached debris would hit hard enough to rattle the bridge and endanger drivers.”

Using data measured by the Army Corps of Engineers at Sutersville, McKeesport emergency management coordinator Bill Miller said at presstime that he expected the marina to see the worst of Sandy when the river crested between 8 and 11 Tuesday night.

“We've contacted the Coast Guard and Army Corps of Engineers,” Miller said. “They're all aware of the situation. Unless more docks break free, we have to wait and see what happens.”

The Marina at McKees Point has not seen significant weather damage since Jan. 31, 2001, when an ice floe took out a network of 210 docks and slips. Ice traveled down the Youghiogheny in blocks measuring 12-18 inches thick.

“It took everything out from shore to shore,” then-marina manager Steve Kondrosky said on the 10-year anniversary of that disaster. Docks, lighthouses and other debris were carried all the way into the Ohio River, where some items were recovered.

City officials were hopeful that Tuesday's damage wouldn't reach that disastrous end, but some boaters said the little damage that did occur could have been avoided.

Stan Jankovic, Matt Jankovic and Tom Neel — members of the crew that removes the marina's docks each year — said the laziness of other boaters contributed to Tuesday's mess.

“There's a lot of current and a lot of debris, and that's causing us a lot of problems,” Stan Jankovic said. “The debris is catching on the docks. The current is causing the docks to spin, and that's what's causing them to break.”

He and Neel said they are frustrated, because the docks shouldn't have been in the water on Tuesday. They blamed “lazy people” who did not meet the Oct. 15 deadline to have all boats — excluding one that had special permission to remain — removed from the marina.

“All of these little boats have no excuse,” Neel said. “They should have been out, and they've held us up. We've spent a lot of time pulling boats out, when we should have been taking docks out.”

“Their laziness contributed to this disaster,” Stan Jankovic added.

The docks where this crew attaches their personal boats were destroyed in Tuesday's damages. Noting he has been communicating with fellow boaters via text message and email, Neel said, “We sent them pictures and told them what's going on. They can't believe it.”

“It's going to take a lot to fix it,” Stan Jankovic said. “We went through this in 2000, and there was no 2000 season because of it.”

Cherepko said city officials hope the damage won't set back the 2013 summer boating season.

“As of right now, we are talking about three docks on the end,” the mayor said. “We hope we can work with our insurance to have these docks replaced in time for boating season; but as it stands right now, even if we didn't replace them, we would be able to put all of the other docks back and only be short by three.”

Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1956, or

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.