Former Clairton librarian cleared of assault charges
Assault charges against a former Clairton City School District elementary librarian were withdrawn.
Jayme Emerson Gardner, 46, of Carnegie, had been charged with simple assault, harassment and endangering the welfare of children in connection with an incident involving a 7-year-old girl on March 2 in the school's library.
District superintendent Wayde Killmeyer said Gardner was suspended just minutes after he was alerted to the alleged altercation, and an investigation was launched.
The girl, a first-grade student, reportedly was fighting with another girl when the librarian broke up the fight by grabbing the girl by the arm and allegedly throwing her up against the wall.
According to the criminal complaint, the girl was taken to a hospital for treatment, and was found to have abrasions on her wrists and thumb. Documents also indicated the incident was caught on tape by the school's security cameras.
School directors furloughed Gardner and eliminated elementary library and guidance programs in June according to the minutes of a district legislative meeting.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 9-month probe leads to major heroin bust in McKeesport
- McKeesport leaders sign pledge to be part of solution to violence
- McKeesport Area student leadership group donates Halloween costumes
- Wolf pays another vist to the Mon Valley as Corbett remains absent
- Propels leave the lights on to showcase their after-school activities
- West Mifflin Area adjusts solicitor duties
- Protestants preparing for Reformation Sunday observances; Protestants, Catholics plan for 2017
- ReClaim McKeesport ambassadors transform vacant lot
- Teen’s family turns tragedy into lesson for McKeesport students
- Clairton residents share concerns over sewage bills