No one at home when truck hits E. McKeesport house
By Patrick Cloonan
Published: Friday, December 14, 2012, 4:06 a.m.
Updated: Friday, December 14, 2012
A pickup truck driver was taken to a hospital for observation on Thursday after a crash that took out a flagpole, an East McKeesport “welcome” sign and the back porch of a nearby house.
Township and East McKeesport authorities responded to calls around 1:20 p.m. to the juncture of Greensburg Pike, Hilda Avenue and Route 30.
The driver was seen walking from his truck alongside a North Versailles Township firefighter. The truck reportedly flipped at least once before landing in a backyard along the 300 block of Hilda Avenue.
The truck incurred extensive damage. East McKeesport police Chief Russell Stroschein said North Versailles emergency personnel took the man to UPMC Mercy for observation.
The man's name and condition were not available at presstime. No other injuries were reported.
Witnesses said the man's eastbound truck went off the highway at a bend going downhill toward downtown East McKeesport.
It took out the sign, one of four bought by the borough last year for $1,465.59 apiece, as well as a flagpole from the old Park Terrace School, and a beam supporting the roof over the porch.
No one was at home when the crash occurred. Stroschein said the crash is under investigation.
His officers were there with North Versailles police and personnel from United Volunteer Fire and Rescue and the Fire Department of North Versailles.
Patrick Cloonan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
- Glassport council president resigns
- Munhall police update abandoned-homes list
- Munhall manager resigns, citing ‘disillusionment’
- CLO brings ‘other’ Phantom to town
- It’s beginning to sound a lot like summer again on Plum Street
- West Mifflin council tables plan to regulate borough resale shops
- Former Pirate speaks at Kiwanis meeting
- McKeesport diner owner’s lease dispute goes to court
- Irwin seeks new police chief
- Waterfront link completes Great American Passage bike trail
- McKeesport music store earns national honors
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Let me guess? Under the influence of Cellphone Alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications! And I'd strongly imagine no Insurance to boot !