Chlorine leak evacuates sewage plant in Glassport
By Michael DiVittorio
Published: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 12:06 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 3, 2013
A chlorine leak caused an evacuation at a sewage treatment plant along Harrison Street in Glassport on Wednesday afternoon.
Emergency responders and HAZMAT crews arrived around 2:15 p.m. and quickly had the leak under control.
Officials said the smell of chlorine permeated the air.
No neighboring properties were evacuated.
“Once the command was established, we realized we had a slight odor of chlorine in the sewage department area,” Glassport fire Chief Wayne Lewis said.
“(With) the quick response by emergency personnel, we were able to find that packing inside a valve was loose. That was contained very quickly. All additional departments that were on location were just backup for the fire department.”
The valve was on a 2,000 pound liquid chlorine tank.
Dravosburg, Jefferson Hills and McKeesport firefighters and Clairton EMS responded to the call.
Lewis said one person was treated at the scene, but refused medical transportation.
Michael DiVittorio is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1965, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteers join together to make playground a reality in Clairton
- Duquesne youngsters could end up at W. Mifflin
- Owners pledge to revitalize Century III
- Heritage center program traces McKeesport’s evolution in slides
- McKeesport-area polling stations may be changed for some voters
- Funding transportation
- Animal control protesters clash in McKeesport
- Day care for special needs children set for North Versailles
- 10 candidates vie for 4 Norwin school board positions
- Wilmerding teen charged in Elizabeth Twp. accident
- Lincoln police chief maintained strong ties to community
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.