Weekend robbers target 3 McKeesport stores
By Jennifer R. Vertullo
Published: Monday, January 14, 2013, 2:34 p.m.
Updated: Monday, January 14, 2013
Two women are charged with robbing one McKeesport convenience store and attempting to hold up another.
Jaleesa King, 22, of McKeesport and Sade Swan, 20, of Pittsburgh face multiple charges for the attempted robbery of Bailie Avenue Express and the armed robbery of Pappy's Convenience Store on Saturday night.
Both women are charged with robbery, criminal attempt, criminal conspiracy, recklessly endangering another person, possession of instruments of crime, theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property. Swan faces an additional aggravated assault charge.
McKeesport police were dispatched to Bailie Avenue Express shortly after 8 p.m.
Employees told police that they observed suspicious behavior before the suspects attempted to enter the store, Capt. of Detectives Tim Hanna said. Staff locked the door and contacted authorities.
“The store employee was observant and took action to prevent a potential robbery from taking place,” Hanna said.
While police were investigating this incident, officers were dispatched to an armed robbery in progress at Pappy's, 2418 Jenny Lind St., where two women reportedly were brandishing firearms and demanding cash at 8:52.
“(Officers) set up a perimeter in the area and searched for suspects,” Hanna said. “They located one individual on foot and located the second at an abandoned house. The weapons used, as well as all the cash taken, were recovered.”
King was apprehended while walking along Pope Alley, and Swan was found while attempting to hide behind an abandoned home in the area of Riverview and Soles streets.
Hanna said the incidents are being investigated separately from an armed robbery that took place Friday at 6:02 p.m. at Jo's Coffee Shop, 3100 Versailles Ave.
Two men — one with a handgun and one with a shotgun — entered the convenience store, where two employees were working. Witnesses described the suspects as black and dressed in layered clothing, with their faces covered by scarves.
The men took only cash, and no injuries were reported.
Police said they are examining surveillance video from the coffee shop.
Anyone with information regarding Friday's robbery is asked to contact McKeesport police at 412-675-5015.
Jennifer R. Vertullo is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-664-9161, ext. 1956, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Workshop cautions classrooms of unknown toxins in everyday items
- McKeesport Area to improve environmental health
- McKeesport Area High School’s Allied Health students got together at the district’s Career and Technology Center with instructors Donna Maguire and Antonietta Stolic, at left, and McKeesport Hospital Foundation executive director Michele Matuch and school director Tom Maglicco.
- Glassport council president resigns
- Munhall police update abandoned-homes list
- Former Pirate speaks at Kiwanis meeting
- Munhall manager resigns, citing ‘disillusionment’
- CLO brings ‘other’ Phantom to town
- It’s beginning to sound a lot like summer again on Plum Street
- West Mifflin council tables plan to regulate borough resale shops
- McKeesport diner owner’s lease dispute goes to court
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.